Skip to main content

Planning: Pre-Scrum / Pre-Product Backlog

Last post 05:08 pm May 13, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
09:31 pm May 5, 2020

Does anyone have a best practice for tracking/planning work or activities that occur prior to your first sprint? I'm trying to understand how to manage our team's time for activities that do not produce a client-facing output (POC, user research etc.). 

Example: A company has a strategic roadmap vision to expand product offerings in the next quarter. Does scrum provide coverage for the activities that translate vision to the backlog? 

02:37 pm May 7, 2020

That would be the activity known as Refinement.  Remember that Scrum, and agile in general, is about incrementally doing the work.  So instead of completely translating the vision into Product Backlog Items (PBIs), translate enough items to begin working and have the others evolve as work progresses.  

As for tracking/planning these activities my opinion is that there isn't a lot of value in doing so.  Scrum advocates tracking value that is delivered to stakeholders, not tracking every action that a person on a Scrum Team takes. However, if I were required by the organization to track these activities, I would start my first Sprint with nothing in the Product Backlog and the Sprint Backlog would be full of "Spikes" with a Sprint Goal of producing enough Product Backlog items for the Scrum Team to start building the first increment of potentially releaseable value. From there the act of refinement would continue to build out the Product Backlog.

06:54 pm May 8, 2020

Very helpful Daniel, that's the approach I took given it's more of an organizational requirement at the moment and I'm new to the product management role.

05:08 pm May 13, 2020

Does anyone have a best practice for tracking/planning work or activities that occur prior to your first sprint?

Make them as short as you can, because they rob you of time before establishing empirical process control, and use the first Sprint to validate as much of the work as possible.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.