Skip to main content

Metrics for Scrumban

Last post 08:55 am May 23, 2020 by Joshua Partogi
4 replies
03:29 pm May 7, 2020

Hi,

I'm working with a team that has recently pivoted from using Scrum (zombie) to Kanban with Scrum ceremonies. The team management wants me to come up with the 'right' metrics to measure to show success and have advised that I sue the Goal-Question-Metric methodology to come up with a presentation which after they have reviewed and approved, can then be shared with the team. The whole idea of doing this without the team in the first place seems strange to me! And also, from my experience with Kanban, I have suggested that we use what's available out of the box initially, which is Control Chart, CFD and Throughput of work items over time. However, this doesn't seem to be cutting it with them and I am struggling to come up with something novel in the G-Q-M format. Has anyone any advice on this or on any other aspects that perhaps can satisfy the ask of 'what metrics are we going to measure'?

Thanks

06:34 pm May 8, 2020

As you have rightly put the Goal first - so let's start with that...what are we (team management) really trying to achieve? So that we do not get lost in the myriad of questions. And then we can focus on limited questions derived from the goal. Also, give a thought on Impact Mapping with OKR.

04:41 pm May 13, 2020

I'm working with a team that has recently pivoted from using Scrum (zombie) to Kanban with Scrum ceremonies. The team management wants me to come up with the 'right' metrics to measure to show success

I'd suggest that your team has not pivoted at all, but given up on Scrum because it has proven too hard. The zombie problem is less visible but it is still there. Before you consider the "right metrics" to show some kind of "success", my advice is to think about how you will tackle this unfortunate loss of transparency.

08:55 am May 23, 2020

Check out this youtube video to see metrics for ScrumBan. HTH.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.