Skip to main content

Externals in the Nexus integration team and their relationship with the Product Backlog

Last post 05:01 pm May 13, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
10:42 am May 8, 2020

Hi !!

Reading "Nexus framework" book. In the sixth chapter I have read one thing that is sounding in my head continuously.

Context is with external collaborators integrated occasionally in the Nexus integration team.

Their “outside” work would not be represented on the Product Backlog because it does not benefit the Product.

Really? If one external professional improves the product because team has not that skill I guess is an improvement in the product and it should be in the PB. 

Maybe I am in wrong, could you help me in this doubt?

Thank you!

05:59 pm May 8, 2020

The definition of the Product Backlog from the Scrum Guide applies:

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product.

If it's not a source of requirements for changes to the product, it doesn't belong in the Product Backlog. However, there may be other things of interest that can be made visible, estimated, prioritized, and tracked. Perhaps you can use the same tools that you use for your Product Backlog, but strictly speaking, they aren't part of the Product Backlog.

06:52 pm May 8, 2020

The other thing is that the Nexus Integration Team, is not a Scrum Team. The concern is that having this "outside" work added to the backlog is that the NIT tends to take on the mentality of a Scrum Team because they would be taking work from the backlog and completing it.

Keep in mind, this does not apply to everything the NIT does. If the NIT does work towards integrating the increment and/or work to make it possible for better processes, like CI/CD; that would likely go on the Product Backlog as it allows for more transparency. 

05:01 pm May 13, 2020

Really? If one external professional improves the product because team has not that skill I guess is an improvement in the product and it should be in the PB. 

If that improvement adds to the work remaining for the Product, it ought to be accounted for on the Product Backlog, which could just mean increasing the estimate of relevant items. It isn't necessarily going to be represented on the Product Backlog as a discrete item in its own right. Doing so would only make sense if the Product Owner recognized its value to the Product and could reasonably manage and order it.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.