Skip to main content

How to show my value in resume with this situation.

Last post 05:19 pm May 13, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
11:49 pm May 8, 2020

So, I was recently laid off due to the COVID situation, and the company I worked for for the last 2 years was nothing short of a struggle. I've posted many times before about the things that were going wrong, which were many, and now I'm trying to figure out, how am I suppose to say that was a success on a resume? Yes, I learned a LOT... Especially about why doing things the wrong way causes problems etc.

Before I was let go I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how to calculate my impact on the teams and the projects that were worked on while I was there, I was desperate for something I could say like, delivered x number of projects or decreased cycle time by x percentage, I know those aren't necessarily indicative of being a successful scrum master, but companies are looking for these type of metrics. As always, they want to know you can help their teams produce more faster, and it got me wondering... However, due to the fact that there were 6 teams, working on 60 projects, no product owners, and 0 support from leadership... I am sure you know how well that worked out.

When you have an engagement where you are telling them the things they need to change, and you've coached the teams the best you can, but in the end it's the clients decision not to listen to you... How do you show that on your resume in a positive way?

02:18 am May 9, 2020

You don't. You focus on what YOU did and the value YOU bring. 

05:19 pm May 13, 2020

how am I suppose to say that was a success on a resume?

Some employers might be interested in failure, and value experienced people who can help others learn from it. Consider using your resume to weed out those who aren't.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.