Skip to main content

Managing PO work with Scrum: does it need own analysis backlog?

Last post 07:48 pm May 27, 2020 by Dovile Krusinskaite
2 replies
09:16 pm May 25, 2020

Hi, everyone, need some advice. I am heading two separate teams in Business Intelligence and trying to put their work in agile framework.

• BAs: they first elicit business requirements for specific BI needs and then act as product owners (create user stories). 3 BAs.
  • BI Devs: they create BI solutions as per requirements. 8 people, but with different skill set (ETL, DWH, BI, Viz)

Both teams have HR  team leads. We serve the whole company, so BI needs come from different Business Units. This is what I am planning to do (and this is where I would love some feedback!).

1) I act as PO for BAs and put items in Analysis PB. They act as development team and take my User Stories to the Analysis Sprints. We only have one Analysis backlog for all business units and one sprint.

2) As much as possible, I've aligned the business units, 3 BAs and BI developers into three virtual teams. They all have their own product backlog and sprints. Some people, like data analysts, overlap in some cases. Here BAs act as PO and provide user stories for the dev teams. 

So all in all: 1 combined Analysis Backlog and sprint and 3 Product Backlogs with individual sprints.

It does sound complicated, but I couldn't think of the better way doing it. Another option was not to have Analysis Backlog and sprints (skip the item 1) and just have 3 Product Backlogs. However, running BI in purely agile fashion is rather challenging, as quite a bit of analysis needs to be done upfront: define data needs, source needs, metrics and KPI specifics. Basically - PO needs to perform quite a bit of business analysis before she/he can produce meaningful user stories for PB and answer Dev team's questions. If I leave main analysis as a user story in the product backlog (item 2) - then the dev team wouldn't be able to assess the workload comfortably, also, any delay in analysis, would delay dev work. 

How does that sound? Any feedback or suggestions. And in general - any advice on scrum'ed BI - please let me know :) 

05:43 am May 26, 2020

I am heading two separate teams in Business Intelligence and trying to put their work in agile framework.

How would a team establish empirical process control? How would a team inspect and adapt its progress based on evidence, and thereby maximize product value?

It does sound complicated, but I couldn't think of the better way doing it

What are your thoughts about encouraging team self-organization?

06:43 pm May 27, 2020

I probably have a more fundamental questions - where and how does PO record his/her time. Because it's also part of product delivery and should be accounted. Isn't it?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.