Skip to main content

Osmotic communication in virtual work environment

Last post 11:44 am July 9, 2020 by Nils Hyoma
4 replies
02:27 pm June 25, 2020

I like to understand how we address the Osmotic communication when team is not sitting closely which is another usual now . 

02:42 pm June 25, 2020

Ask your team how they feel it could be addressed.  After all, they are the ones that had the communication and are now missing it.  Since they know what communication was occurring, they can identify ways of recreating it in a virtual space.  There are a number of tools available for virtual communication with some being text based (Slack, Microsoft Teams) and others being video (Slack, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Google Meet).  All of my teams have pretty seamlessly shifted to using those solutions to accomodate their needs.

07:01 pm June 25, 2020

I like to understand how we address the Osmotic communication when team is not sitting closely which is another usual now 

How much "osmotic communication" really happened when team members were co-located?

A student who sleeps with a textbook under his pillow will not receive any knowledge by osmosis. Physical proximity is not enough. You have to work at it. So, what do your team members actually do to facilitate communication, whether it be by "osmosis" or otherwise? What activities are involved?

11:06 am June 26, 2020

How much communication takes place in public channels? For instance, are private groups and direct messages used in chat tools? Are people conscious about what is being discussed in one-on-one, team and organizational meetings?

Are concerns and decisions proactively communicated? Are they at least visible to others, and do those others know where to find them if they're interested?

11:44 am July 9, 2020

I think osmotic communication is just one way for a flow of contextual information. Don't focus on osmotic communication, focus on problem and find other ways to solve them!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.