Skip to main content

Passing the PSM, what next?

Last post 03:35 pm July 7, 2020 by Shekhar Singh
1 reply
06:34 pm July 3, 2020

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and wanted to get some insight from seasoned professionals. I work as a recruiter in IT and finance, and developed a natural fascination with Scrum. I recently passed the PSM I, and was curious how many of you began your careers? As I have talked to many Scrum masters (hiring for other companies), I am struggling to best understand how to get started, or what career paths are open with minimal direct experience outside of the certification and knowledge obtained from the recruiting process? I hear frequently "there was someone who...", and I am wondering how to go about finding that mentor, job, or outlet/skill to really hit the ground running.

I have seen individuals who get experience as Scrum Masters before getting certified, and others who have resumes that start as a Scrum Master for smaller teams. Oddly enough, recruiting has ultimately led to more questions than answers! I would love to learn more, but do not know how to go about starting a career that can utilize my passion for servant leadership and desire to learn more. Essentially... what are your experiences, and looking back what advice would you give outside of applying around, such as what jobs or industries are viable options, and how can I make the most out of this time before finding the next move?

Additionally, are there any other recommendations for certifications, skills, or software to learn (outside of traditional story boarding) that would be of value?

Thank you all in advance!

07:03 am July 7, 2020

Tyler, This totally depends upon your carrier objective and intention behind doing it, it also depends on your aim what are you looking for? they have PSM 2, 3, and two others you've mentioned.

How important that would be for future move or achievement, is it required or it is for self-actualization, so I guess you can better answer that for yourself because only you know the direction you are heading to

Also, It's hard to understand where the industry is heading but so far everything looks lucrative. Also all certification bodies like scrum alliance, Scaled Agile are launching new certifications to tap market opportunity like enterprise coach, team coach and now leadership program so be ready to spend more in order to be in the race.

So it will be you who can decide your own journey where you want to move. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.