Skip to main content

Is the Sprint Goal is a part of Sprint Backlog?

Last post 04:36 pm July 7, 2020 by Dibbha Iyer
5 replies
12:11 am July 7, 2020

Though the Scrum guide doesn't specify so, I have read in few articles that "the Sprint Goal is a part of Sprint Backlog". My understanding is that this is not the case as Sprint Backlog is ever changing throughout the Sprint while the Sprint goal is an objective to be made and not something actionable to form a part of the Sprint Backlog.

Seeking clarity.

12:13 am July 7, 2020

Typo correction:

Though the Scrum guide doesn't specify so, I have read in few articles that "the Sprint Goal is a part of Sprint Backlog". My understanding is that this is not the case as Sprint Backlog is ever changing throughout the Sprint while the Sprint goal is an objective to be met and not something actionable to form a part of the Sprint Backlog.

05:14 am July 7, 2020

Would it help to include the Sprint Goal in the Sprint Backlog? Would doing so improve transparency, for example?

05:23 am July 7, 2020

I have read in few articles that "the Sprint Goal is a part of Sprint Backlog".

It's an ambiguous statement. What do the authors of those articles mean? It could simply be down to the level of English being used by those authors, or it could be a lack of understanding of Scrum.

I would say no, they're separate things, but there is a relation. The Sprint Backlog should contain a plan for achieving the Sprint Goal. That plan for achieving the Sprint Goal can be adapted by the Development Team at any time, whereas the Sprint Goal itself cannot be adapted. It can only be replaced if the Product Owner cancels the Sprint.

06:34 am July 7, 2020

Inherently it is: since the sprint backlog contains (at least) the work to be Done for achieving it.

But these are two different concepts.

Sprint goals are the burning torch for the team. It give guidance and purpose to the work they are doing.

Therefore having a clear sprint goal, and giving it a prominent position can help.

I would not make it part of the sprint backlog itself when it comes to tracking of work. It might be confusing. But you can make the sprint title the same as the sprint goal, you can print it on a big poster and hang it on the wall, you can put it on the monitors, whatever. There are a lot of ways to visualize the sprint goal. And every Daily Scrum you can look at the poster and give updates related to that phrase

04:36 pm July 7, 2020

Thanks that clarifies.

If I were to use a life example where my Sprint goal is to be able to drive a car by a certain date, my Sprint Backlog would contain all the things I need to do to be able to meet my objective. I could add / remove various items from the Sprint Backlog as I ascertain better ways to reach my goal, given the Sprint Backlog can be adapted as more is learnt. However, if my Sprint goal changes to being able to swim by a certain date, the existing Sprint Backlog serves no meaning. Making the the Sprint goal a part of the Sprint Backlog gives the impression that the Sprint goal can be changed as well which cannot be the case for a Sprint in progress. 

There seems to be ambiguity in the way sometimes some authors construct the sentences that could in essence change the whole meaning. Grateful to the experienced people on this forum who take the time to pass on their knowledge. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.