Skip to main content

Daily Scrum - Separate Events for Frontend & Backend

Last post 03:49 pm July 14, 2020 by Ushadevi Prabhudev
5 replies
Anonymous
01:47 pm July 7, 2020

Hello,

I am aware that the Daily Scrum is an event that is often discussed here but I do have a rather unique question regarding this matter.

In a company that does not make use of Scrum but strives to implement it in the future, would it make sense to start with Daily meetings (15 min max) for the individual skill groups? Since a lot of the developers work on multiple projects and a clear Scrum team cant be created as fast, the exchange is vital for the individual developers and to get accustomed to the Scrum approach.

Does anyone has similar experience with this matter or even a different solution? I know for a fact that this can only be a temporary solution but I am not in favor of a direct implementation of Scrum events. People do need time to get to know this new approach and I do feel that this first routine and the exchange can help a lot to drive people towards Scrum and form the correct mindset.

01:57 pm July 7, 2020

Scrum’s roles, events, artifacts, and rules are immutable and although implementing only parts of Scrum is possible, the result is not Scrum. Scrum exists only in its entirety and functions well as a container for other techniques, methodologies, and practices.

The above text is from the Scrum Guide.

You can start whatever way you like, but it needs to be clear to everyone involved: members of the Scrum Team, stakeholders, and anyone sponsoring a move towards using Scrum; that implementing bits of it is not Scrum, and is extremely unlikely to deliver the intended benefits.

In fact, it's possible that having just part of Scrum will do more harm than good, as there will be prescribed overheads, but there won't be the necessary mechanisms or accountability to enable proper Transparency, Inspection, and Adaptation.

What's the impediment to just getting started with Scrum in its entirety?

Anonymous
02:12 pm July 7, 2020

Thank you for your input.

The impediment is that at the moment the company is using a mix of Scrum and Kanban (Scrumban) but most of all there is the matter of teams. Since a lot of the developers work on various projects, the individual "teams" would be too small to start with pure scrum with all events. As a Scrum Master I do not see the benefit for like five different "Daily Scrums" with just two team members each.

04:49 pm July 7, 2020

My advice would be to start with the Scrum values. They are professional values, and they have to be in place if Scrum is to be implemented successfully, even with just one team. They are values we can fall back on.

It might also be a good idea to encourage a product focus. Many organizations struggle with this, and retain a traditional focus on project execution. This inhibits product ownership and transparency over empirical value delivery.

09:12 am July 9, 2020

From the Scrum Guide:

Fewer than three Development Team members decrease interaction and results in smaller productivity gains.

So you are not wrong:

As a Scrum Master I do not see the benefit for like five different "Daily Scrums" with just two team members each.

Maybe you should help the organization to focus on the multiple projects and products. Why do they want to use Scrum? Fast feedback / fast time to marked?

01:40 pm July 14, 2020

I have a PSM 1 certification and I have been given an opportunity by a company to implement scrum for a project. I do not have prior experience as a scrum master. I need guidance on how to start implementing scrum.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.