Skip to main content

Agile Practices on Agile Principles or vice versa

Last post 02:48 pm July 10, 2020 by Linus Palopak
3 replies
03:41 pm July 9, 2020

I would like you, expert guys, to give some thoughts about this problem. 

1. Which one affects the others regarding project success? Agile Practices on Agile Principles or vice versa? 

2. According to your experiences, Is there any correlation between Agile practices and agile principles on project success?

05:24 pm July 9, 2020

My advice is to focus less on projects and more on products, and less on principles and more on the values which underpin the Scrum framework.

11:18 pm July 9, 2020

I've probably used the phrase, but I'm not that convinced of the existence of "Agile practices".

Agile is a set of values (things like "individuals and interactions over processes and tools" and "responding to change over following a plan") and principles (things like "our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software").

On top of these values and principles are some practices that have been used to support them. Coming from a software background, some good examples are the use of continuous integration and automated testing. However, these practices aren't "Agile practices". I've used these practices with great benefit in environments that are the exact opposite of the Agile values and principles - formally defined and documented processes, big requirements and design documents (often front-loaded), contracts, and management per plan.

As far as the success of the Agile values and principles goes, it depends a lot on your context. Are you operating in an uncertain or frequently changing environment? If so, embracing the principles and practices that support them may be beneficial. If your environment is relatively static, then perhaps the things that you do to respond to changes will only add overhead. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.

06:57 am July 10, 2020

Thank you Ian and Thomas for your thought. 

As Thomas explained about the existence of "agile practice", how if we just simply change the term of "agile practice" with "agile Methods" such as Scrum, FDD, DSDM, or any other agile methods, as I know each agile methods consist of some different practice. What do you think about the correlation between agile methods and agile principles (agile manifesto) on project success?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.