Skip to main content

Is the term MVP vastly overused / misunderstood?

Last post 03:02 am July 15, 2020 by Mark Adams
5 replies
06:19 pm July 12, 2020

Disclaimer: I know the Minimum Viable Product is closer to Lean than Scrum itself, but I think it still fits into general 'agile world' and fits the forum.

Don't you think that the term Minimum Viable Product is greatly overused nowadays?

Seems like we tend to label every new product as an MVP. I see people with a 2-year development plan without any intention to pivot/validate hypothesis, and they still label their first production release as an "MVP".

What's your opinion? Do you think MVP term is vague enough and it's fine to use it as a substitute for "brand new and barely complete", or should it be reserved for products that specifically aim for hypothesis validation and initial market feedback? Can the very first release of the product be named MVP, even though the product owner doesn't intend to pivot based on the market reception?

What's your stand on MVP definition? I feel like 80% of the time the term MVP is misused just because something is "new".

01:01 am July 13, 2020

I agree with you that the term MVP is misused, and it is a fine topic for this forum. Here is a definition I like, and forget where I heard it (probably from Eric Ries of Lean Startup):

MVP: The smallest thing you can build to gain validated learning.

I think it fits in well for validating hypothesis and for getting customer feedback. 

07:17 am July 13, 2020

I see people with a 2-year development plan without any intention to pivot/validate hypothesis, and they still label their first production release as an "MVP".

An MVP might enable validated learning, or its purpose might be to demonstrate viability to stakeholders so as to trigger further funding. One consumes the availabe runway on which to pivot, the other builds it.

Anyone can have a 2-year "development plan". Having enough runway on which to pivot and learn is something else entirely.

08:55 am July 13, 2020

I've most commonly seen an MVP as not the bare minimum to learn from, sadly, but the bare minimum to 'prove' the team is working hard.  Essentially a milestone to demonstrate progress along a traditional project path. 

10:59 am July 13, 2020

Like it or not, this term means different things to different people.

If your teams and stakeholders are using this, it's probably a good idea to at least make sure they can agree on what it means to them. If they don't agree, it can actually expose some long term misunderstandings.

03:02 am July 15, 2020

If a customer gives me a broad set of expectations and I cannot convert that into something I can demo for them in a few weeks, maybe two months tops, I don't have an MVP.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.