Skip to main content

Product Backlog Evolve but Sprint Backlog Emerge

Last post 03:35 am November 19, 2020 by Le Nguyen Vinh
4 replies
04:28 pm July 13, 2020

Hi All,

I have read in SG and there is different on words "Evolve" and "Emerge". I can understand the purpose to adapt to the natural change of works and requirement by  'Evolve' and 'Emerge', Can anyone help me to more understand on  why Product Backlog 'Evolve' but Sprint Backlog 'Emerge'.

Thank you so much.

Vinh  

04:57 pm July 13, 2020

The Product Backlog can evolve independently of any particular goal; the evolutionary principle is one of empirical value optimization. The Sprint Backlog emerges as the work required to meet the Sprint Goal is surfaced.

05:05 pm July 13, 2020

Thanks Ian. Can we say Product Backlog emerges toward Product Vision ?

05:51 pm July 13, 2020

It may be better to avoid that language, because the product vision might itself change through evolution. A product could pivot to serve a different market for example. The product evolves along with the vision held for it so value is optimized. A Sprint Goal on the other hand ought to remain invariant.

03:35 am November 19, 2020

Thanks Ian,

Now Scrumguide 2020, Product Backlog emerges toward Product Goal :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.