Skip to main content

Scrum Master doing daily huddle with multiple teams together

Last post 02:53 pm August 10, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
9 replies
11:53 am August 6, 2020

I have observed that some of the Scrum Masters facilitates daily huddle with multiple teams together to save their time. And teams are not dependent on each other so we cannot call it Scrum Of Scrums even. I don't think it is right practice but practically they say there is no harm. What is the suggestion on this?

06:35 pm August 6, 2020

This sounds a little self serving to me. Do the teams feel they're able to inspect their work and plan for the next 24 hours being intermingled with other (non dependent) teams? 

If no, what evidence can be provided to the Scrum Master to show the impact of their actions on the teams ability to have a successful Daily Scrum? 

06:46 pm August 6, 2020

I have observed that some of the Scrum Masters facilitates daily huddle with multiple teams together to save their time.

@upasana chaudhary, How exactly does it save time? I am assuming each Development Team of the different Scrum Teams discuss their progress independently and that they don't all talk at once.

06:46 pm August 6, 2020

Is the Scrum Master able to attend each team's Daily Scrum separately?

If not, given the choice of having multiple teams together, or having it without the Scrum Master present, what does each Development Team consider more effective?

06:47 pm August 6, 2020

Yeah, if it works for the teams to see each other's work...then I see a viable reason to merge the standup. If they are saying it saves them time, then they are warping one of the core elements of agile. The point is for a team to speak briefly and align goals for the a short period of time. 

It's also 10-15 minutes tops. 

If your scrum master doesn't have time for up to 30 minutes, then they are not prioritizing their time correctly. It's an essential part of the process. I'd ask you team if you would benefit from breaking this standup apart by teams.

06:53 pm August 6, 2020

I have observed that some of the Scrum Masters facilitates daily huddle with multiple teams together to save their time.

To save whose time? A Scrum Master, who does not need to be there, or the time of a Development Team?

A Daily Scrum is a Development Team's opportunity to take 15 minutes out of a busy day to stand aside and refocus their efforts on meeting the Sprint Goal. Is that too much to ask?

10:27 am August 9, 2020

I'm with Ian on this.

The Stand-up is mandatory for the Development Team. It isn't mandatory for the Scrum Master to attend, only to ensure that it has happened.

The simplest answer is - both teams hold their own at the current time and the scrum master goes to the one they're needed at. 

It may be they need to stop trying to be the PM holding a status update meeting.

10:39 am August 9, 2020

Scrum master is also a project lead in this case. So the scrum master who is the project lead wants to save his time of going to 2-3 projects daily huddle.

11:24 am August 9, 2020

Scrum master is also a project lead in this case. So the scrum master who is the project lead wants to save his time of going to 2-3 projects daily huddle

@upasana chaudhary, As Ian Mitchell has mentioned above, the Daily Scrum is an event for the Development Team. There is nothing in the Scrum Guide that mandates that the Scrum Master has to be there at the Daily Scrum. So, the concern about saving time becomes questionable.

02:53 pm August 10, 2020

Scrum master is also a project lead in this case. 

This it the root of the problem.  The Scrum Master is not having two teams join their events.  The Project Lead is doing it.  This goes back to having a Project Manager gather all of the project team members together to have a 2.5 hour status meeting every week.  

As many have said, the Daily Scrum is for the Development Team to plan their day, not to give status updates to anyone.  The Project Lead should be able to see the progress by viewing the teams Sprint Backlog.  If the Development Team needs help from the Scrum Master, Project Lead, Human Resource Representative or the Front Office Receptionist, they will ask.  Otherwise everyone should trust the Development Team to be doing the work that is needed in order to meet the Sprint Goal that the Scrum Team has agreed upon. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.