Skip to main content

Product Management for products used within organisation

Last post 01:41 am August 22, 2020 by Mark Adams
3 replies
10:26 am August 19, 2020

We build and deploy products which are used by the users within my own organisation. 

The volume of users is is less than 200. In such situations how can we measure and assess loyalty and growth. We cannot use NPS is such an environment. 

We usually just collect there issues ad-hoc and fix them

03:31 pm August 19, 2020

Do the internal users want to use the products?  Are the products helping the users to be more effective?  Are there any users that refuse to use the products? 

All of those questions can be used to assess the effectiveness of the products.  It isn't a formula that results in a score but it is indicative of the satisfaction for the product from the users.  You could use a simple survey and tabulate your results.  True it is not NPS but it is still effective for smaller sized groups.  

You mentioned assessing loyalty and growth.  Growth is already limited by the user base.  And to determine if the active user base is growing, all you really need to know is how many people use it.  You could introduce some type of event based analytics to capture that similar to what you would use with Google Analytics or New Relic for example. As for loyalty, do the users have an alternative product to use or are yours the only ones?  If there are no alternatives, then loyalty really doesn't matter much because they will use the only product out of necessity. If there are alternatives, again a simple survey of "what product are you using for XXXX?" and "Why do you use that product?" will give you insights into the loyalty question so that you can draw conclusions.

04:29 pm August 19, 2020

Does each product have a clear owner to represent and manage stakeholder interests, so value can be understood and optimized?

Loyalty and growth are two ways in which product owners might comprehend value. In what other ways is product value being assessed, and is it being explored and accounted for by means of incremental release?

01:41 am August 22, 2020

Loyalty? I don't understand.

Growth is easy. Usage reports. Are the number of users growing? Is the usage by each user growing? What features or pages are they using? Clicking?

Personally, I am vehemently opposed to SSO, integrations, or DB connections. Every software I've worked on that did those three acquired technical debt and became unnecessarily complex. 

I like software that I can purchase off the shelf and use it, as is (like Confluence). It then becomes a system of record as well. But that really depends on your ability to pitch that.

Do a client journey mapping exercise to see where there are pain points and see if you can bring software in to solve for those. Then do a product canvas. Always look to innovate.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.