Skip to main content

Can we change the items selected from product backlog (Sprint Backlog) after Sprint planning ?

Last post 04:18 pm August 25, 2020 by Fangxu AI
4 replies
02:41 pm August 21, 2020

I thought the answer is no, but when i do some mock exams, there's a question is about this, it explains that we can't change it during the sprint! Which is the right answer ?

09:06 pm August 21, 2020

Would changing the selected Product Backlog items have an impact on the team's ability to achieve the Sprint Goal?

In Scrum, the team does not commit to scope. Instead, teams commit to achieving goals. At the Sprint level, the goal that is committed to is the Sprint Goal. As long as the Sprint Goal is not in jeopardy, there's no reason why you couldn't change the items. However, this can slow the team down and it may be worth spending some time in the Sprint Retrospective to understand why it was necessary (or right) to change the Product Backlog Items selected for the Sprint.

10:16 pm August 21, 2020

The Scrum Guide says: "The Development Team modifies the Sprint Backlog throughout the Sprint, and the Sprint Backlog emerges during the Sprint. This emergence occurs as the Development Team works through the plan and learns more about the work needed to achieve the Sprint Goal."

02:06 am August 22, 2020

During the Sprint:

• No changes are made that would endanger the Sprint Goal;

• Quality goals do not decrease; and,

• Scope may be clarified and re-negotiated between the Product Owner and Development Team as more is learned.

I think it clearly answers the question and seems to be quite reasonable, too.

08:26 am August 25, 2020

Thanks for your answers, i'll take my initial answer which is Yes.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.