Skip to main content

Retrospective research

Last post 04:56 pm September 8, 2020 by Piotr Górajek
3 replies
02:40 pm September 7, 2020

Hi all!!!

I'm interested to know are there any figures or researches that show how this event influence on the team? 

In case if it was described in any of the books please let me know. 

07:33 pm September 7, 2020

If there are any, it would be interesting to find out.

But I would like to sound one note of caution. According to the Scrum Guide:

…although implementing only parts of Scrum is possible, the result is not Scrum. Scrum exists only in its entirety…

So by opting to remove a Sprint Retrospective from Scrum, you're creating a state that is no longer Scrum, and undermining the entire framework.

Therefore such an experiment would not just be about the impact of the retrospective, but would also be assessing a broken state of Scrum.

08:39 pm September 7, 2020

I'm also not sure of any specific research, but I would point out that the retrospective is the only practice that is included in the Manifest for Agile Software Development:

At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.

Scrum places the Sprint Retrospective within every Sprint, but if you were to remove the Sprint Retrospective, not only would you no longer be using Scrum, I would argue that you are no longer agile as you are not consistent with the values and principles.

11:03 pm September 7, 2020

@Irina Babenko Here is a study that might be in your point of interest: https://ntnuopen.ntnu.no/ntnu-xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2353474/12962_FULLTEXT.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y and here is an article that summarizes some findings: https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/reflecting-on-work-improves-job-performance

To add something to Simon's and Thomas's posts, there is nothing special in Retrospective. Each event (or meeting) in its core depends on proper communication and participation of people who are "in the room". Defined purpose and agenda of an event (or meeting) such as retrospective helps participants to organize themself, their thought and enables them to participate in a way that maximizes the chance for achieving outcome / fulfilling the purpose.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.