Skip to main content

FUN IDEATION GAMES!!

Last post 08:04 pm November 1, 2020 by Simon Mayer
3 replies
07:42 pm October 29, 2020

Hello!

My team is working on componentizing our application. In our last team meeting, only the loud people really got their voices heard - While others did not get the chance to speak or only got a few words in.

We have decided to play an ideation game instead - to not only make it fun, but also make sure everyone's ideas are hard.

4 corners was one suggestion....

Does anyone else have recommendations? **We are remote, so this will be done through Zoom 

01:44 am November 1, 2020

It is best to use face-to-face for all team activities in order to have a strong sense of participation and competition, and to obtain beneficial innovations and good ideas in on-site interaction.

Remote ZOOM is not the best choice

07:58 pm November 1, 2020

Have you looked into Liberating Structures? With zoom break-out rooms you can run many of them.

08:04 pm November 1, 2020

Remote ZOOM is not the best choice

I agree with that, but a lot of people don't have the option to be collocated right now.

I was curious to see if others came in with suggestions before I answered, because gamification isn't my strong point.

But I have seen the Lean UX canvas work very well. Inspired by something I experienced during the Professional Scrum with UX course, with one of my teams, we went through the canvas, section by section, with timeboxes at each point.

Everyone would fill in that box on their own sheet, and then we'd take turns to share what we'd all put down.

Then as a team, we'd try to fill in one mega-size copy of the canvas (which we'd built onto ~5 metre wide whiteboard). We basically took the main points for each section and got them onto the board. The Product Owner and product designer deliberately stepped back from leading conversations, but did contribute to add clarity, or once others had contributed.

My theory is that by doing it this way, it meant that everyone shared what their understanding and ideas, and the subsequent discussion allowed us all to identify key points, get on the same page, and then keep alignment as we continued to progress.

Doing it remotely is probably going to be harder. But I believe you can achieve a similar effect using remote whiteboard software (or perhaps some other collaboration tool that the team is familiar with).

Another thing you might want to look into is Liberating Structures (1-2-4-all can be done very easily with Zoom's breakout rooms), and maybe you can use that in combination with other Liberating Structures to generate, share and refine ideas.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.