Skip to main content

Should there be a disaster recovery plan when using SCRUM

Last post 11:41 pm November 13, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
09:13 am November 13, 2020

I have been asked to prepare for the Disaster Recovery plan. We have recently adopted SCRUM and are developing a bio-medical SaaS product. My question is do we have a Disaster recovery plan in SCRUM? If yes who prepares this plan?

06:00 pm November 13, 2020

I imagine you already have it with Scrum, but it is not recognized.

When a disaster hits an organization, that's the time executives tend to adopt empirical process control. Ironically, once the crisis subsides, empiricism is then abandoned, and organizations revert to the old prescriptive management techniques which often contributed to the mess in the first place.

My advice is to ask management for their thoughts on how they might use an evidence-based approach to handle unforeseen events, and take it from there.

06:09 pm November 13, 2020

What is the scope of the proposed disaster recovery plan?

Many organizations have a disaster recovery and business continuity plan to cover disasters that involve their facilities. This would make sure that people are capable of checking in regarding their safety, people are able to work remotely, and any information stored on-site is appropriately copied to someplace secure in a different location.

There may also be a disaster recovery plan for your product to address what happens if the data center hosting the software solution is affected by a disaster. This may entail having data replicated to a different facility, perhaps even managed by a different vendor. This would also include cold, warm, or hot disaster recovery sites for the application.

Using Scrum does not inherently address what you do to ensure that your business functions and your product remains available during or after a disaster, within your SLAs. The person or group responsible for that depends on the scope of the disaster recovery plan and your organizational structure.

11:41 pm November 13, 2020

I like @Ian Mitchell's response.  But I think @Thomas Owens' is probably closer the truth for companies in which I have worked.  But I really like @Ian Mitchell's response. 

If I were in your position I would ask myself and the teams what a disaster would do the their ability to work.  Then provide that information to the individuals within your company that would need that information.  It would also depend on what your Scrum Teams do for the organization. If this is a System Reliability team or IT Operations, there would be entirely different decisions and needs than if they are Software Development. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.