Skip to main content

New version Scrum Master PSMI

Last post 09:25 am November 19, 2020 by René Gysenbergs
2 replies
09:29 pm November 18, 2020

Hello everyone!

I have been studying for the last weeks the certification PSMI, and today I have realised that the exam is going to change in January.

I wanted to do the exam at the end of November, but I I don't know if the certification is going to be as valuable doing it now as it was in January. I mean if having the certification of the new version is better than the one there is now, or they are the same.

Thank you!!

10:15 pm November 18, 2020

Scrum is still Scrum and the heart of Scrum has not changed. There are some changes, but in general what is being tested is Scrum and that will remain the same.  I would expect that people evaluating your abilities will not look at the version of the Scrum Guide.

09:25 am November 19, 2020

Hello Isabel,

I've done my PSM I exam in 2016, so my training was based on SG 2016.

When SG 2017, I learned about the changes and adapted my implementation of Scrum according to SG 2017.

Now the SG 2020 is released, I will again adapt my implementation of Scrum accordingly.

All that time is was certified as a PSM I, no company has ever asked me which Scrum Guide I studied for the PSM I exam....ever.

Scrum is still Scrum and companies expect that Scrum Masters keep up to date on their own. They will look at your ability to implement Scrum in a correct way, so that Scrum supports the value creation for the customer.

Also on the certificate their is no mention of which version of SG was needed. It reads "Professional Scrum Master I" and not "Professional Scrum Master I - Scrum Guide 2020".

So get the PSM I certificate now and keep on learning and getting experience. The PSM I is the beginning of a journey, not the destination.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.