Skip to main content

Origins of Scrum vocabulary

Last post 09:36 pm November 22, 2020 by Eric Naiburg
3 replies
10:12 pm November 21, 2020

I'm curious to learn how the terms Scrum, Scrum Master, Sprint, burndown, etc. came into being. After some searching, I learned that scrum is a rugby term, but that's all I know.

02:53 pm November 22, 2020

Hi Alison,

Scrum as it is currently defined began when our chairman and founder Ken Schwaber jointly with Jeff Sutherland presented their work at an event OOPSL95 in Austin, Texas in 1995 on Scrum.  This was based on work from the HBR Article "The New New Product Development Game".  Many of these pieces you mention evolved over time.  There are several videos that Ken has recorded talking about the history of Scrum which can be found here.

07:48 pm November 22, 2020

I actually interested in how the word "scrum" came to be used. Were either Ken Schwaber or Jeff Sutherland rugby fans or players? I don't know enough about rugby to understand how it fits. Is a scrum in rugby like a huddle in American football? Or, did it just sound like a good word they pulled from the air? It's no stretch of the imagination to understand the sports metaphor for sprint. 

09:36 pm November 22, 2020

Alison, please click the link above for The New New Product Development Game as it is used in there and that is where it originated. The concept of the Scrum Team is based on Rugby and how the team comes together to move the ball forward all as one.  In Scrum, the Scrum Team works together to move the product forward together.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.