Skip to main content

Prerequisites for Generating a burn down chart

Last post 07:35 pm December 22, 2020 by Sandip Sengupta
4 replies
12:20 pm December 9, 2020

Hi All, I need to generate Sprint Burn down chat in Jira. So before putting the backlog item I found I need to have the estimate logged in the stories else the chart treats them as scope creep. Need one help

1. what is the difference between story point field and story point estimate field

2. When this is to be updated so that the burn down is properly reflected as per what is actually happening in sprint

06:02 pm December 9, 2020

I need to generate Sprint Burn down chat in Jira

Why do you need to do this specifically, rather than your team?

1. what is the difference between story point field and story point estimate field

Have you asked your administrators what their intention was when they set up these fields?

2. When this is to be updated so that the burn down is properly reflected as per what is actually happening in sprint

An information radiator, such as a Scrum Board, should tell the truth at all times. Each team member should ensure that the progress of work is kept up to date, and that there is an accurate projection of work remaining.

09:19 pm December 9, 2020

This is based on my knowledge of Jira and I do not claim to be an expert. 

In case you haven't read this you should.  

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-and-underst…

Notice these points

Before you begin

• The Burnup Chart only applies to Scrum boards

• Story Points on sub-tasks are not included in the Burnup Chart. (Only Story Points on parent tasks are included.)

From what I understand the estimate field is not used at all for any of the Jira Scrum reports.  They are all based on the Story Point field.  But the type of item you choose when creating it is important.  The charts mostly report on Stories with some including Bugs and Tasks.  But Subtasks are not accounted for on any of the reports to my knowledge.  You have to make sure that the items you are using to indicate work are tied directly to the Story and as they are completed, the % complete will be indicated. 

01:46 pm December 22, 2020

Hi Ian .. yes discussed with the admin team. Didn't get any satisfactory answer. After some R&D found this gets reflected properly when:

1. Story point is updated in the stories and then the stories are assigned to any sprints.

2. The status of the stories needs to be updated regularly by the developer , this will reflect the chart properly.

01:49 pm December 22, 2020

Hi Daniel yes the article is helpful...thanks ..

After some R&D found burndown gets reflected properly when:

1. Story point is updated in the stories and then the stories are assigned to any sprints.

2. The status of the stories needs to be updated regularly by the developer , this will reflect the chart properly.

Will keep in mind the below points you mentioned.

The Burnup Chart only applies to Scrum boards

Story Points on sub-tasks are not included in the Burnup Chart. (Only Story Points on parent tasks are included.)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.