Skip to main content

SCRUM GUIDE 2020: Number of Scrum Masters for one product

Last post 08:07 am January 20, 2021 by Nitin Mukesh
6 replies
11:34 am January 17, 2021

Hello All,

I have started preparing for PSM-1 certification and as recommended by others I am reading The Scrum Guide: Nov, 2020.

I am confused with the following statement

Page: 6

Title: Scrum Team

Para: 3

Therefore, they should share the same Product Goal, Product Backlog, and Product Owner.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct

Product

Scrum Team 1

Product Owner

Product Backlog

Product Goal

Developers Group 1 (1 >= and < 10)

Scrum Master 1

Scrum Team 2

Product Owner

Product Backlog

Product Goal

Developers Group 1 (1 >= and < 10)

Scrum Master 2

What I understand is for each product there may be multiple Scrum teams but Product Goal, Product Backlog, and Product Owner should be same, however, there could be different Scrum Master for each Scrum Team.

I could relate it to; when a Scrum Master is also a part time developer and part time Scrum Master.

Kindly confirm if my understanding is correct or wrong.

12:18 pm January 17, 2021

Don't see any edit button here. There is a small correction

Developers Group 1 (1 >= and <= 10)

06:45 pm January 19, 2021

For any given Product, there should be exactly one Product Owner and exactly one Product Backlog. If multiple teams are working on the same Product then these will be shared.

At any given time, it should be transparent to all team members who their Product Owner is, and who their Scrum Master is, so the accountabilities are clear.

07:23 pm January 19, 2021

I would agree with your assessment that there should be one Product Backlog, Product Goal, and Product Owner for multiple Scrum Teams working on a single product. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that you would only have multiple Scrum Masters if the Scrum Master is also serving the team in a different capacity. There are a lot of factors that go into how many teams a Scrum Master can work with, including the experience and maturity of the Scrum Master and the maturity of the teams.

In my experience, a skilled, experienced Scrum Master can effectively work with up to 3 or 4 teams if those teams are very mature and can generally function with mostly hands-off coaching and those teams are working on a single product. As soon as you have multiple products, teams that need more intensive or hands-on coaching, or an inexperienced Scrum Master, the number of teams that can be supported by a Scrum Master goes down. Someone performing a dual role (such as a Scrum Master who is also a Developer) will also limit the number of teams, probably down to 1.

03:13 am January 20, 2021

Thanks for the explanation Ian and Thomas.

So what I understand is there may be multiple Scrum masters working on the same product and that does not violate the Scrum....

04:22 am January 20, 2021

Product

Product Owner

Team 1 > Developers

Team 2 > Developers

Team 3 > Developers

(...)

Team N > Developers

You must have as much scrum masters as necessary to serve all teams as a servant-leader. If you have, for example, 10 teams, only one scrum master will not be able to observe all teams, attend to all retrospectives, reviews, talk and listen to people, remove impediments, etc. 

For PSM-1 is important to know what @Ian said on his comment.

It is important to be clear to you that more teams, more dependencies and scale issues.

Take a look at the PSM-1 topics, i don't think that multiple teams should be a topic to your PSM-1. 

The important point is:

One Product > One Product Owner > One Product Backlog. 

So what I understand is there may be multiple Scrum masters working on the same product and that does not violate the Scrum....

You are right. Multiple teams will require multiple Scrum Masters. It is ok to scrum guide, but not that simple in a real world. Take a look at Nexus framework (SPS). 

08:07 am January 20, 2021

Thank you Tiago for the explanation.

I understand the complexity part and hence wanted to clarify from the exam point of view. Do you recommend reading Nexus guide for PSM-1?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.