4. Inspecting & adapting your workflow

Kanban on the other hand knows six practices:

1. Visualize the workflow
  2. Limit work in progress
  3. Manage flow
  4. Make process policies explicit
  5. Feedback loops
  6. Improve collaboratively

The first two are the same, but the last ones seem to differ a bit. Does anybody happen to know why there is a deviation from these Kanban principles?

My first guess would be that Kanban 3 and 4 combined make number 3 of Scrum with Kanban. The Kanban ones seem a bit more self explanatory though.

Kanban number 5 (feedback loops) does include the seven Kanban meetings. Getting rid of those in the context of Scrum makes sense, I suppose. Scrum already has its own events.

11:44 am January 25, 2021

The 6 practices that you identify come from David Anderson's Kanban Method. However, the Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams is based on the work of Daniel Vacanti, and his Kanban Guide is available online.

Vacanti's Kanban Guide defines three practices:

1. Defining and visualizing the workflow
  2. Actively managing items in a workflow
  3. Improving the workflow

The Kanban Guide's practice of managing items in a workflow includes both limiting WIP and various methods of managing WIP, such as avoiding pile ups, using the SLE to minimize aging, and unblocking work. It's not entirely clear to me why the Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams split these practices into two separate practices.

12:49 pm January 25, 2021

Bear in mind that PSK offers a strategic approach to Kanban, in other words, it is Kanban applied as a strategy within the context of Scrum. The Kanban practices needed might, therefore, be expressed even more parsimoniously.

09:01 am January 28, 2021

Thanks Thomas, I didn't realise that. It put me on the right track to understanding this. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.