Skip to main content

What would we do if the Nexus sprint planning have too many dependencies and cannot resolve

Last post 07:08 pm August 8, 2022 by Mario De Caerlé
6 replies
11:42 pm April 28, 2021

Hi everyone,

I got a concern and I'm not sure how to handle it as a Scrum master. That would be great to have your help, Thanks so much!

Like in the Nexus sprint planning, there are many dependencies and hard for teams to choose the work they could pull into their individual teams for the next Sprint. No matter how we reorganize the backlog items, they continually find more or new dependencies. 

Should we Extend the sprint length OR re-organize team members between the teams to eliminate cross-team dependencies or The Nexus Integration Team should complete the dependent work ahead of the Sprint for the teams OR reorder Product Backlog Items so that you can accommodate the dependency

Thanks,

Vinh

05:18 am April 29, 2021

How about encouraging people to self-organize into Scrum Teams so dependencies are minimized?

07:07 am April 29, 2021

Thanks for your response Ian, I agree that we should encourage people to self-organize into teams if we cannot resolve it! but if we identify them right in the Nexus sprint planning, is there a good solution to resolve/minimize in advance.!

Thanks,

Vinh

07:55 am April 29, 2021

This is why the Cross Team Refinement event comes before the Nexus Sprint Planning event, as it is the main event where dependencies are identified and resolved.  Of course, dependencies can be identified and reported at any time during the sprint too. 

The Nexus practices have a wealth of knowledge that should help you to improve your Nexus skills:-  https://www.scrum.org/scaled-professional-scrum-nexus-practices

01:31 pm August 7, 2022

Considering that the first thing taken into account doesn't provide any improvements (reorganizing the backlog items),  I can say that I should consider to : Re-organize team members between the teams to eliminate cross-team dependencies. 

12:32 pm August 8, 2022

In the worst case you can keep the dependencies visible and keep the nexus team involved in helping to reduce them during the sprint.

07:08 pm August 8, 2022

re-organize team members

If that's the solution, how is the crossfunctional aspect of the teams?

The Nexus Integration Team should complete the dependent work ahead of the Sprint for the teams

The Integration team is not a separate team that can waterfall development tasks.

reorder Product Backlog Items so that you can accommodate the dependency

We have a winner. Now that you know the dependencies, adapt to manage the dependencies: order them, and discuss them when needed, make sure people work together to create an integrated increment. If you can't eliminate dependencies, manage them.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.