Skip to main content

The path to a Scrum Master role

Last post 08:26 pm May 13, 2021 by Eric Bobo
1 reply
09:53 am May 11, 2021

Hello everyone!

I have been searching for Scrum Master Junior roles , and I was wondering if you could guide me.

Completing my technical high school majoring in Informatics, I joined a small company of web development working first as a developer and later as a Junior PM (where I discovered scrum and used it as I understood). Later I was required to work in different role visiting clientes and mocking up with them as well as writing their requirements.  

In the meantime I was studying a  Dental Surgery Bachelor in my free time. (I hadn't decided I wanted to work in tech then)

To make the story short. The owner closed the company and moved to another country, I completed my degree ans now I'm looking for job opportunities in tech.  In all this process and interviews, I learned what employers were looking for: So I have been taking courses in Agile Project Management, Software Product Management, Agile Methodologies and Scrum in order to formalize some knowledge and learn more. I didn't know anything about certifications until some months ago, I got a certification with ScrumStudy on Nov 2020. 

Currently,I am studying a second Bachelor in CS part-time(so I can work) and studying for the PSM.

*Although I have been looking for entry level , intern or trainee roles for Scrum Masters where I could apply my knowledge, I just don't find them. I was wondering if they exist,or  how you managed to get one SM role, or if you know of some of those roles available.

I am fluent in Spanish and advanced in English, currently living in Mexico.

Thank you :)

08:26 pm May 13, 2021

Getting your PSM may help, but if you can still take on a role as a developer, I would look for a developer job at a company that is using Scrum. This would allow you to join a team using Scrum and ultimately make your way into a Scrum Master role.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.