The path to a Scrum Master role

Last post 08:26 pm May 13, 2021
by Eric Bobo
1 reply
Author

Hello everyone!

I have been searching for Scrum Master Junior roles , and I was wondering if you could guide me.

Completing my technical high school majoring in Informatics, I joined a small company of web development working first as a developer and later as a Junior PM (where I discovered scrum and used it as I understood). Later I was required to work in different role visiting clientes and mocking up with them as well as writing their requirements.  

In the meantime I was studying a  Dental Surgery Bachelor in my free time. (I hadn't decided I wanted to work in tech then)

To make the story short. The owner closed the company and moved to another country, I completed my degree ans now I'm looking for job opportunities in tech.  In all this process and interviews, I learned what employers were looking for: So I have been taking courses in Agile Project Management, Software Product Management, Agile Methodologies and Scrum in order to formalize some knowledge and learn more. I didn't know anything about certifications until some months ago, I got a certification with ScrumStudy on Nov 2020. 

Currently,I am studying a second Bachelor in CS part-time(so I can work) and studying for the PSM.

*Although I have been looking for entry level , intern or trainee roles for Scrum Masters where I could apply my knowledge, I just don't find them. I was wondering if they exist,or  how you managed to get one SM role, or if you know of some of those roles available.

I am fluent in Spanish and advanced in English, currently living in Mexico.

Thank you :)

08:26 pm May 13, 2021

Getting your PSM may help, but if you can still take on a role as a developer, I would look for a developer job at a company that is using Scrum. This would allow you to join a team using Scrum and ultimately make your way into a Scrum Master role.