Skip to main content

Starting new journey as SM

Last post 02:50 pm May 24, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
04:32 pm May 23, 2021

Hey Folks!

I have been working in Scrum projects for the last 7-8 years as Software Engineer, then few years on the Team Lead role. I have no experience as a pure Scrum Master, but I have worked directly with many SMs being on Associate/Lead role. 

My concern is that having a good career interest on the SM role, I prepared for it from internet resources/forums/videos and faked my SM experience of 2 years to get the desired role. 

Now I succeeded in getting a SM job. 

First, is it legit what I did to get the job? I know it's not right, but without faking it's not possible to get the job here, and the current organization is not giving me the desired opportunity. Second, what recommendations are there for me to grow further on the role? Please assist.

04:55 am May 24, 2021

having a good career interest on the SM role

Why are you interested in having a career as a Scrum Master? What do you believe the role involves which you find appealing?

12:03 pm May 24, 2021

Why are you interested in having a career as a Scrum Master? What do you believe the role involves which you find appealing?

I love the way Agile works in the industry and the flexibility, mindset, respect and culture it promotes in our lives; unlike the things that work in traditional project management environment. As SM, I can apply Agile/Scrum principles to the working environment around me.

02:50 pm May 24, 2021

I prepared for it from internet resources/forums/videos and faked my SM experience of 2 years to get the desired role. 

Given that you have never done the work as a Scrum Master, you might want to validate your learnings.  There is a lot of bad advice, training, and education on the web about Scrum and being a Scrum Master.  Does your learnings align with what you read in the Scrum Guide? I recommend you read the Scrum Guide very frequently over the next couple of months.  Don't try to memorize it, try to understand it and the reasons for the things it states.  Use this forum to get advice and clarifications.  You will see by the answers given that it isn't a step-by-step process.  

Understand why your organization wants to use Scrum.  Even better, determine if what your organization is doing is actually following the Scrum framework.  Many companies will use the terms but aren't following the framework.  The fact that you mention you being a Associate/Lead makes me believe that they might not be. 

@Ian Mitchell asked a very good question.  Make sure you understand what you are expecting out of the job as a Scrum Master.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.