Skip to main content

Increment Clarification - Scrum Guide 2020

Last post 09:22 pm June 7, 2021 by Chuck Suscheck
2 replies
03:51 pm June 4, 2021

========================

1) The scrum team turns a selection of work into an increment of value during a sprint

2) The entire scrum team is accountable for creating a valuable , useful increment every sprint

3) The developers are he people in scrum team that are committed to creating any aspect of usable increment each sprint

4) No one else tells Developers how to turn Product Backlog items into increments of value

Hence,

Who creates the increment ? Developers

Who is responsible or accountable for creation of increment ? -> Scrum Team

Correct me if I am wrong

04:57 pm June 4, 2021

I think you're mostly right.

I'd agree that Developers create the Increment.

However, the Scrum Team is "accountable for creating a valuable, useful Increment every Sprint". If you break that down, you can say that the Product Owner is accountable for the value by crafting a Product Goal, ordering the Product Backlog, and negotiating a Sprint Goal and Product Backlog Items selected for the Sprint with the Developers. The Developers actually create the useful or usable Increment at least once per Sprint. And then you have the Scrum Master who helps the team remove Impediments that may prevent or delay them from creating the valuable, useful Increment.

09:22 pm June 7, 2021

I like it, Animesh.  Good summary!

I would like to add the product owner determines what the vision and value are.  The increment fulfills the value - one would hope.  

One thing to also keep in mind, the sprint goal is the reason for the sprint, the sprint backlog is the plan to get there.  The increment is the realization of that value.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.