Skip to main content

How to explain or teach someone the meaning of Scrum Master is a true leader as per the new Scrum Guide?

Last post 11:33 am June 8, 2021 by Adrian Baker
3 replies
05:24 am June 8, 2021

I'd like some help to know how one should teach the meaning of being a true leader based on the new changes in SG2020. If Servant Leadership is one style of leadership, then can a true leader use different styles?

05:36 am June 8, 2021

As you have passed all three PSM exams, I would have thought that you could answer this yourself.  :-)

Yes, I agree with you that a true leader would be able to utilise all leadership styles depending upon the situation they are faced with; however, I would hope that the SM would still be biased towards the servant leadership style in order to allow the team to grow. 

07:18 am June 8, 2021

If Servant Leadership is one style of leadership, then can a true leader use different styles?

Perhaps leadership is more a matter of substance. There are however a variety of leadership stances which a Scrum Master may adopt at different times. These include teaching, coaching, facilitating, leading from the back of the room and even actively doing nothing.

11:33 am June 8, 2021

Jeff Sutherland talks about the reasons for changing the terminology from "Servant Leader" to "True leader who serves" because they wanted to emphasis that the SM is more of an active role and a leadership role, not just a facilitator. They said some were even questioning whether a SM was even needed. More here: https://www.scruminc.com/2020-scrum-guide-changes-updates-explained/

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.