Skip to main content

Resource management

Last post 04:18 pm June 24, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
06:03 am June 17, 2021

Hello,

If a scrum team needs more resources (more members on the development team), would it be a responsibility for the scrum master to have management assign these resources to the team? Or should the product owner arrange this? I did my PSM I exam quite a while ago and I can't seem to find this in the scrum guide.

Furthermore: What if 2 teams would want to 'claim' the same resources, could a framework like 'SAFE' then provide in making a decision about this? I must say, am not familiar with SAFE (yet).

Kind regards

04:24 pm June 17, 2021

Perhaps management has a responsibility to facilitate availability, and to encourage skilled people to self-organize into teams. I'd suggest that the first step towards doing so might be to avoid contextualizing these professionals as resources.

06:05 pm June 17, 2021

@Ian Mitchell is correct.  

I will add that as Scrum Master you should help remove the impediment if the team asks for the help.  But if I were in your position, I would suggest that the Developers bring it up with their manager and let all of them be the one to navigate the corporate process.  The Developers should work with their Manager at coming to a solution that makes sense and is executable. 

08:00 pm June 17, 2021

I'd suggest that the first step towards doing so might be to avoid contextualizing these professionals as resources

Amen 

07:58 am June 24, 2021

When there are several teams for a product, according to Scrum, how should the people be distributed in teams? The management decides? The developers choose? Where could I find this information? Thanks

04:18 pm June 24, 2021

The Scrum Guide says that adaptation becomes more difficult when the people involved are not empowered or self-managing. When there are several teams working on the same product, self-management is therefore the way to go.

Bear in mind that this is a skill to be acquired, and a Scrum Master will coach team members to self-manage effectively.

It can be helpful to:

• create a bounded environment (e.g. a timebox) within which people can take action,
  • give them a clear goal (e.g. each team ought to be able to create Done features) and
  • provide clear rules (e.g. a maximum of roughly 10 members).

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.