Skip to main content

Scrum team one dev

Last post 09:08 pm July 6, 2021 by Ryan Brook
3 replies
12:07 am July 6, 2021

Hello all,

I'll work on a project with one member on scrum team, just a one dev and po. How to apply scrum framework for o only one member? Is it possible?

05:59 pm July 6, 2021

Even if it's theoretically possible to implement Scrum as it's defined in the Scrum Guide for a team with a single Developer, does it make sense? Or might it be too much overhead?

When it comes to scaling frameworks for Scrum, the typical advice is to look at the formalized scaling frameworks once you have three teams since the structures for coordination become more important once you have more than two teams. I'd suggest that something similar is true for Scrum - until you have at least 2 or 3 Developers coordinating with a Product Owner and Scrum Master, I'm not sure you need the structures of Scrum. Some of the practices, individually, may be useful to incorporate so they are in place if the team grows.

06:11 pm July 6, 2021

I'll work on a project with one member on scrum team, just a one dev and po. How to apply scrum framework for o only one member? Is it possible?

That's 2 members. A Scrum Master would make a third.

Anyhow, a better question to ask might be, is it useful to apply Scrum here? Is a complex problem being addressed for which empiricism would prove beneficial? If so, does such a small team actually need a framework to guide them?

09:08 pm July 6, 2021

Consider whether Scrum is the right framework for the delivery. Is it a complex product? Scrum is lightweight but there is still a time requirement to fulfil the accountabilities as described.

There is no minimum Scrum Team size, so there is no rule being broken by having a smaller than typical size.

Scrum isn’t always the answer. You can certainly apply empirical theory which would almost certainly be a positive step.

Only you can determine whether Scrum is the best option for the delivery.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.