Skip to main content

Scrum Team

Last post 07:28 pm July 21, 2021 by Ahamed Beig
3 replies
04:40 pm July 19, 2021

I came across the question below in a site.

Based on what I read on the scrum guide about the Definition of done, I picked True as the answer but the site says otherwise.

They picked false as the answer. Can someone help explain .

Q: True or false? The Scrum Team has full authority over the Definition of Done.

07:42 pm July 20, 2021

From the scrum guide: 

If the Definition of Done for an increment is part of the standards of the organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum. If it is not an organizational standard, the Scrum Team must create a Definition of Done appropriate for the product.

The Developers are required to conform to the Definition of Done. If there are multiple Scrum Teams working together on a product, they must mutually define and comply with the same Definition of Done.

11:05 pm July 20, 2021

I came across the question below in a site.

Q: True or false? The Scrum Team has full authority over the Definition of Done.

Was clarification provided about what was meant by "authority"? The organization's standards ought to be respected, but only the people doing the work can ensure it is applied.

12:35 pm July 21, 2021

Little extracts as per Scrum Guide-2020:

The Definition of Done is a formal description of the state of the Increment when it meets the quality measures required for the product.

If a Product Backlog item does not meet the Definition of Done, it cannot be released or even presented at the Sprint Review. Instead, it returns to the Product Backlog for future consideration. So, they do not have complete authority on DoD.

Like as, Scott Anthony Keatinge mentioned, Developers are required to conform to the Definition of Done which are defined by organizational standards (sometimes).

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.