Skip to main content

If after extensive discussion the Scrum Team cannot agree on the length of the Sprint, who has the authority to make the final decision?

Last post 05:28 pm August 12, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
8 replies
09:34 am July 30, 2021

Hi,

I got this question from one practice exam. And it shows the answer of this question is Scrum Master.

I am not quite sure this is the real answer, could anyone please explain a little bit? Thanks a lot.

09:42 am July 30, 2021

If after extensive discussion the Scrum Team cannot agree on the length of the Sprint, who has the authority to make the final decision?

The Product Owner

The Developers

The Scrum Master

Let me show all of the info of this question.

And the answer is Scrum Master.

04:01 pm July 30, 2021

What is the source of the practice exam that you are using? This answer does not seem consistent with how the role of the Scrum Master is described in the Scrum Guide. Not all practice exams and study material are consistent with the Scrum Guide and Scrum.org's (or your certification provider's) interpretation of the Scrum Guide.

If you're planning on taking the certification exams from Scrum.org, I'd recommend the learning paths, recommended reading, training, and practice exams that Scrum.org provides.

05:11 pm July 30, 2021

The correct answer is D: None of the above.  

No one has that authority.  It is a team decision.  I have experienced this as a Scrum Master and my approach was to suggest a path forward but making it clear that it is just a place to start and that it will be discussed in every Retrospective until the team has arrived at a decision that is comfortable for them. My suggestion was not a decision until the entire team agreed to try it. This falls into this service the Scrum Master has to the team:

• Coaching the team members in self-management and cross-functionality;

As @Thomas Owens states, you have to be wary of third party resources as they may not reflect the Scrum Guide.

01:57 am August 2, 2021

Thanks for your reply. I got this question from this website.

Scrum Star Academy

11:06 pm August 11, 2021

In my current team, the Product Owner decided that all the sprints should be 3 weeks long. I'm not sure if that is a good practice. 

03:53 pm August 12, 2021

Why do feel it isn't right?  How do the rest of the Scrum Team feel about it?  Is the team able to reliably deliver value each Sprint? Are the stakeholders happy with the delivery cadence?

There are many things that make up the decision on the "right sprint length".  But if you don't start with something, you will never know if it is going to work.  Treat this decision just like you do anything in Scrum, with empirical data and analysis.  Do something, inspect the outcomes, discuss the possibilities, adjust if necessary.

05:28 pm August 12, 2021

In my current team, the Product Owner decided that all the sprints should be 3 weeks long. I'm not sure if that is a good practice. 

Did that happen? Did the Scrum Master explain that it is not entirely the Product Owner's decision, or do team members just do what the Product Owner says? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.