Skip to main content

Agile Status Report

Last post 04:27 pm December 16, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
07:51 pm December 15, 2021

Could you please give me on how to report on Agile Projects? I am thinking of a one Pager with key Information to report on the Status of a program. Think of an agile program Dashboard. Our Company is very new in terms of agile and i have minimum exposure on Agile Reporting.

09:01 pm December 15, 2021

Why do you need a status report if the stakeholders have a working product that they can inspect and perhaps even use every "couple of weeks to a couple of months"?

09:56 pm December 15, 2021

Could you please give me on how to report on Agile Projects? I am thinking of a one Pager with key Information to report on the Status of a program. Think of an agile program Dashboard. Our Company is very new in terms of agile and i have minimum exposure on Agile Reporting.

Who would consume this report, and for what purpose, and why is the transparency you already have over status not enough?

01:45 pm December 16, 2021

Ofter the metrics that the management look at are to measure teams operational efficiency. The reflections of it will only push the teams to do more but in a closed loop limiting the opportunities for innovation and fail safe.So try to set the expectations with your program stakeholders to look at Key Value Areas(KVA). I would redirect you to know more in Evidence Based Management https://www.scrum.org/resources/evidence-based-management

04:27 pm December 16, 2021

if you are using the Scrum framework, your "report" is the Sprint Review.  Your dashboard is the Product and Sprint Backlog.

Our Company is very new in terms of agile and i have minimum exposure on Agile Reporting.

The first thing I suggest is that you stop thinking in terms of projects.  Projects bring to mind Gantt Charts and reports of hours worked.  When you work in an agile fashion, you should think in terms of value delivered.  @Balaji Dhamodaran's suggestion of Evidence Based Management is excellent.  But you should not be the only one that reads that document. It should be read by your company's entire management team and then shared with individual contributors as well. Transitioning a company to agile focused methods require changes from the C-staff to entry level individual contributors.  EVERYTHING will have to change in some form or fashion. 

I want you to notice that I use the word agile and not Agile.  The word Agile is a marketing term created by individuals/companies that wanted to commercialize the Manifesto for agile software development.  The word agile is a verb that is defined as "the ability to move quickly and easily" or "quick, smart, and clever".  An organization can become agile.  But only marketing plans can become Agile.   

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.