Skip to main content

Open assessment vs Scrum Guide on sprint goal question

Last post 11:32 am October 10, 2013 by Andrzej Kosowski
6 replies
04:19 am October 10, 2013

Hello,

From the open assessment:

The purpose of a Sprint is to have a working increment of software done by the Sprint Review.

Correct answer: A)
You chose: A)

Correct answer
A)
True

B)
False

From the Scrum Guide:

The heart of Scrum is a Sprint, a time-box of one month or less during which a “Done”, useable, and potentially releasable product Increment is created.

Is then Scrum a software-only framework? I'd argue that the actual answer to the question should be "False" as there can be working increments of any product, not just software.

04:43 am October 10, 2013

Good catch I think, the question should refer to a working product increment

05:50 am October 10, 2013

Indeed, the devil is in the details. I would also agree that correct formulation should be "working product" not "working software (product)".

08:27 am October 10, 2013

Hi,

The context of the assessment is software product as the assessment is made by Scrum.org and Scrum.org is mainly focused with Scrum for software development.

08:45 am October 10, 2013

Thanks for the replies.

Posted By Joshua 스크람 Partogi on 10 Oct 2013 08:27 AM

The context of the assessment is software product

Do you think this is also true for the PSM assessments? (I'm about to attempt one, being wrong about this may cost a few points)

11:10 am October 10, 2013

The question has been updated. Thanks for the suggestion.

Still, a little side note. The Scrum framework as we teach and promote it is optimized for software development. The empirical essence and Scrum principles are obviously applicable for any complex product development. Yet, our Scrum.org mission is "Improving the profession of software development" and software development is our domain of expertise.

11:32 am October 10, 2013

Oh, ok, thanks then!

Sorry about the nitpicking, it's just that knowing these tiny nuances will matter during assessment.

Best regards,

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.