Skip to main content

Apply scrum to a factory

Last post 08:58 am April 13, 2022 by René Gysenbergs
3 replies
08:46 pm March 2, 2022

I'm consultant of a factory that produce fiberglass structures for minning, like stairs, grids, floors, railings. They may receive an idea or an engineering draw.  Every project is different in time, complexity, tools assistance, manpower. Sometimes need one worker others two, three...ten.   Of the 100% of the manhours they hired, only 60% can be allocate to an especific project.  The waste of time between projects is unknown or not measured. The productivity varies in every shift.

I usually apply OEE measures to improve the perfomance of factories with good results, but this kind of work seems to me much as many indpendents projects to be managed by scrum.

If there is someone with an experience similar applying scrum, I'll appreciate very much, and much more the factory and specially the workers.

Thanks regards

09:14 pm March 2, 2022

To what extent are the workers encouraged to self-organize, and come up with the best and most creative solutions to these varied demands?

10:24 pm March 2, 2022

Very interesant question..

First they receive specifications and have to fit requirements with not much space to move. Also they follow instruccions from a daily planning and a chief of the plant, that don´t work side by side with them .  Your question it is a challenge, a space to conquer. It is very unusual in Chile to find those kinds of workers, but actually many plants have serious problems finding people to hire, I supose due the lack of rights incetives. I think they are looking for some places in which somebody encourage them to self-organize and better contributions to their work. Specially in routine works.

08:58 am April 13, 2022

Coming myself from the industry (car manufacturing and working as a blue collar on the floor), I'm not sure if Scrum would be the best option here.

I would suggest to take a look at the Lean Manufacturing System instead.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.