Skip to main content

Multiple Teams and DoD

Last post 05:04 am April 4, 2014 by Chee-Hong Hsia
5 replies
10:42 pm March 30, 2014

Morning,

From the Guide, "If there are multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release, the development teams on all of the Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done.”

Does this mean that all teams must have exactly the same DoD, or as I have read elsewhere, and that I think is questioned in the Open Assessment, that Teams can have different DoD's as long as all Teams end up with something that is potentially releasable?

Two very different things.

Thanks,
Justin

03:50 am March 31, 2014

We have 3 teams working on the SAME product so therefore it makes sense to apply the same DoD.
The second one is true too, teams CAN have different DoD’s as long as their increment is potentially shippable. (note that it’s not about the same product)
But still… in reality it isn’t always this black/white. It depends on the situation that you’re in so I would say put this issue into a discussion group and see what the result is.

10:43 am March 31, 2014

> Does this mean that all teams must have
> exactly the same DoD

Not must, because the teams *may* be working on different product components that are characterized by different measures of quality.

> or as I have read elsewhere, and that I think is
> questioned in the Open Assessment, that
> Teams can have different DoD's as long as all
> Teams end up with something that is potentially releasable? 

That's the one. It's the increment that must be potentially releasable, a decision which is made by the Product Owner.

> Two very different things. 

Yes they are. Unfortunately management sometimes try to conflate the two, in an attempt to remove process control from Scrum Teams both individually and collectively.

10:59 am March 31, 2014

> It's the increment that must be potentially releasable, a decision
> which is made by the Product Owner. 

NB teams need to consider this when jointly drafting a Definition of Done that is appropriate for the integration of the product.

11:13 pm April 3, 2014

Just as an aside, attached is the question in the Open as mentioned.

[IMAGE:28]

05:04 am April 4, 2014

Posted By Justin on 03 Apr 2014 11:13 PM
Just as an aside, attached is the question in the Open as mentioned.

[IMAGE:28]

"It depends"... what a political correct answer :P

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.