Skip to main content

Scrum PSPO clarifications

Last post 07:02 am May 21, 2014 by Michelle Gomes
8 replies
06:18 am May 19, 2014

Hi,

I did not pass my previous attempt, but I slowly seem to be getting there. So I am keeping my positivity and not focusing on the money going into the examinations :)

I had a few questions that needed clarification
1) What tools does the PO use?
In this there was an option of burndown and release burndown. I would choose burndown but I am not sure which other tools are available for the PO to use. Anyone has insight into this

2) Who hires the PO
In my opinion, the PO needs to be available in the beginning, so I would assume management does this hiring. But if the choice is SM or DEV, would DEV be the right choice since they are self organizing

3) For the Scrum review, can the stakeholders re-align the priorities in the PB? true/false/
This felt more of how do you interpret this question.
true - stakeholders need to priorities what they need
false - the PO only can change the PB, besides it could be possible that another technical task is more important

Glad to hear your views on this

07:23 am May 19, 2014

For 1) Is the gnatt chart also considered a tool for the PO?

07:07 pm May 20, 2014

> 1) What tools does the PO use?

The principal tool at the PO's disposal is the Product Backlog

> 2) Who hires the PO

Whoever it is that holds the PO accountable for the return on investment he or she is responsible for assuring.

> 3) For the Scrum review, can the stakeholders re-align the priorities in the PB? true/false/
> ...
> false - the PO only can change the PB

Agreed.

> ...besides it could be possible that another technical task is more important

Technical tasks are more likely to be derived when planning a Sprint Backlog.

04:36 am May 21, 2014

Hi Ian,

For 1) In the scrum papers of Ken, he also mentions using charts and work breakdown structures.

assets.scrumfoundation.com/downloads/2/scrumpapers.pdf?1285932052

www.danube.com/docs/Scrum_Metrics_for_Management.pdf

There are many techniques and practices for assessing the progress and probable success of
projects. Scrum provides four simple and effective artifacts for managing and monitoring project
performance: Product Backlog, Product Burndown, Sprint Backlog and Sprint Burndown.
Building on these, we are integrating a Functional Work Breakdown Structure and a technique
for measuring Earned Business Value

For 2. There was only an option for dev and SM, in this case I can assume that if there is a conflict then the dev team can pick t up with the SM and the SM would be the one who speaks to management to discuss about a possible hire of another PO. Would this be correct?

Thanks !

05:31 am May 21, 2014

What about burndown charts , that should also be a tool for the PO right

05:43 am May 21, 2014

in addition, is revenue the only measure of succes? what if its for a non-profit orgnaization. Shouldnt it be business value which can be measured using revenue or not.

06:57 am May 21, 2014

Yes, it is value which is the most important measure of success. Together with other measures such as customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction etc it will lead to revenue.

06:57 am May 21, 2014

> For 2. There was only an option for dev and
> SM, in this case I can assume that if there is
> a conflict then the dev team can pick t up
> with the SM and the SM would be the one
> who speaks to management to discuss about
> a possible hire of another PO. Would this be correct? 

Neither option would be correct for hiring a PO. However if the context of the question is one of removing an impediment, such as a breakdown in the relationship between the Development Team and the PO, then a self-organizing team may look to their Scrum Master to facilitate a resolution.

A good Scrum Master would try to resolve matters amicably by challenging the problem rather than the person, and would be careful to liaise with product stakeholders and not just management.

Generally speaking, it is inappropriate for either a Development Team or a Scrum Master to pass judgment on whether their PO should be replaced, as neither of those roles are directly accountable to stakeholders for the product.

> What about burndown charts , that should also be a tool for the PO right

Burndown charts *could* be a tool for the PO, not should, since they are not a core part of Scrum as evidenced in the Scrum Guide.

> in addition, is revenue the only measure of succes? 

No, what matters is ROI or Return On Investment. ROI does not have to be revenue based, although it should always be possible to measure it empirically. The Product Owner is accountable for ROI including how it is determined and measured.

07:02 am May 21, 2014

Thanks Ian, that makes more sense.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.