Skip to main content

Who own the Sprint backlog.

Last post 03:38 am June 21, 2022 by Guojun Lu
4 replies
09:20 am June 18, 2022

Dear

I had found discussion on Internet regarding to this topic. some of them reply the whole Scrum Team own that. because it's the team decision, PO make the prioritization, and it have to be mapping to the Sprint Goal. but for the detail, Developers are the only group who decide what to do in the Sprint. so i am little confused regarding to this topic.

pls feel free to let me know if you have any opinion.

Thanks in advance.

04:17 pm June 19, 2022

Hello @Guojun,

The Developers own the Sprint Backlog, not the Scrum Team.  Per the Scrum Guide: 

The Sprint Backlog is a plan by and for the Developers. It is a highly visible, real-time picture of the work that the Developers plan to accomplish during the Sprint in order to achieve the Sprint Goal. Consequently, the Sprint Backlog is updated throughout the Sprint as more is learned. It should have enough detail that they can inspect their progress in the Daily Scrum.

04:29 pm June 19, 2022

Hi @Guojun Lu!

@Eric is right, it is definitely and the Development Team that owns the Sprint Backlog!

The Sprint Backlog is everything that needs to be done, plus the plan the developers have to achieve it, along with an over-arching goal that describes what the developers are aiming for.

Who else is better equipped to deal with those items than the developers who are doing the work!

"The Sprint Backlog is composed of the Sprint Goal (why), the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint (what), as well as an actionable plan for delivering the Increment (how)." -The Scrum Guide, page 11

Spring Backlog

[Image from scrum.org]

Sprint Backlog vs Product Backlog

Sometimes people confuse the Sprint Backlog and the Product Backlog.

The Product Owner has more responsibility with regards to the Product Backlog, as the Scrum Guide states "the Product Owner is also accountable for effective Product Backlog management"

You mentioned "The PO makes the prioritization of the Product Backlog."

That's 100% correct. But the Product Backlog and the Sprint Backlog have different rules associated with them.

Product Backlog

[Image from scrum.org]

05:24 pm June 19, 2022

I had found discussion on Internet regarding to this topic. some of them reply the whole Scrum Team own that. because it's the team decision, PO make the prioritization, and it have to be mapping to the Sprint Goal. but for the detail, Developers are the only group who decide what to do in the Sprint. so i am little confused regarding to this topic.

I think you may be conflating the Developers' ownership of the Sprint Backlog with the Scrum Team's skill in collaborating over the work on it. For example, if the Developers believed that the forecast of PBIs ought to change to better meet the Sprint Goal, they would collaborate with the PO when making that decision. The Sprint Backlog is still theirs.

02:23 am June 21, 2022

Dear all, Many thanks for your detail explanation. much clear now.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.