Skip to main content

Split User Story estimation based on expertise

Last post 01:27 pm June 25, 2022 by Chuck Suscheck
4 replies
11:16 am June 22, 2022

Hello,

What do you think about splitting the estimation of a PBI between Dev effort and QA effort ?

I mean for each PBI in the Sprint Planning we have an estimated effort for Devs and another estimated effort for the Tester.

Thank you in advance for your answers !

12:25 am June 23, 2022

I'm curious to understand what benefit you might see from splitting the estimate this way?

In Scrum the whole point is to have a valuable, useful Increment every Sprint. Scrum doesn't use adjectives such as "partially", "almost", or "99.9%" Done. The product Increment is either Done or it isn't. 

If the Developers are sizing work with points, there is no partial credit. If the team is using velocity (optional in Scrum), those points would not be included, because velocity measure the amount of Product Backlog turned into a useful, valuable Increment. In fact if there is no new product Increment that meets the Definition of Done by the end of the Sprint, velocity is actually ZERO for that Sprint.

And the Developers size together as a team, there are no sub roles or sub teams in Scrum. This helps avoid handoffs and attitudes such as "not my job". All the Developers are accountable to meet the Sprint Goal and for the Sprint Backlog.

A Product Owner may want to know the size of Product Backlog items so he/she can make tradeoffs when ordering the Product Backlog. The wouldn't need to know the split either.

06:07 am June 23, 2022

What do you think about splitting the estimation of a PBI between Dev effort and QA effort ?

I'd suggest that quality assurance is part of development, because it is necessary to craft a Done increment. The teamwork exhibited ought to reflect that truth.

08:28 am June 23, 2022

My experience tells me that teams do this because they don't want to talk to each other about their differing skill sets. A programmer doesn't want to think about testing and a tester doesn't want to think about coding. 

This is a sign that the SM needs to help coach the team in cross-functionality. To understand why we work together to create a usable increment, and why our defintion of done is a team accountability. 

If teams split into 'dev' and 'test', they will never realize the value of Scrum.

01:27 pm June 25, 2022

As stated by others, this isn't a great idea and promotes team separation.

Another thing to consider, this is an estimate.  It's also an estimate based on effort or complexity that gets translated into story point that then gets applied as time - at least most folks do that.  I'm not saying this is a great approach but not unusual (use flow metrics instead).  Making the estimate with this much detail is just too much precision for what you know.

Ultimately, explain the issues and ask the team.  If they want to do something that's not optimal, try it and point out where it caused issues later.  Teams frequently learn better from soft failures than from being prevented from failing. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.