Skip to main content

Add Sylabi and Sample Exams for Professional Exams

Last post 12:56 pm September 8, 2014 by Michael Owen
2 replies
03:08 am September 8, 2014

I am interested in the PSPO I exam and don't plan to attend a paid course as I've 3+ years experience on a scrum team and already received internal training.

I'm really happy that scrum.org professional assessments can be attended without mandatory paid courses, but the lack of an official assessment outline/sylabus makes the self-preparation quite difficult. A reading list of 10+ books can't compensate for that and also makes it impossible for my employer to get the scope of the exam and judge its "worthiness" against competing certificates.

I'd also appreciate if there was a "full" sample exam that covers all areas of PSPO I (e.g. also topics that aren't in the scrum open exam such as estimation techniques and writing of user stories)

Here are the sylabus and the sample exam of the widely recognized IREB-CPRE FL certificate, which might serve as an example:

http://www.ireb.org/en/syllabi/foundation-level/promocode/3e121.html

http://www.ireb.org/fileadmin/IREB/Pruefungen/CPREFLPracticeExamination…

kind regards,

Franz

Anonymous
10:54 am September 8, 2014

Hello Franz,

Thank you for your interest in Scrum.org and for your input. Regarding the value of the PSPO I certificate, while it is not a bulleted list, we do have some fairly similar language on the PSPO I assessment page which generally addresses the PSPO I certificate and the understanding exhibited by those who succeed in earning one:

"People that have passed PSPO I and achieved certification demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the Scrum framework, and how to apply it to maximize the value delivered with a product. They exhibit a dedication to continued professional development, and a high level of commitment to their field of practice. Achieving PSPO I is the minimum demonstration of knowledge any Professional Scrum Product Owner should be able to make."

As per the sample exam, we encourage you to take the Scrum Open until you are able to achieve a score of 95% or higher.

With regards to a syllabus or list of PSPO I areas or topics covered, we would recommend reviewing the 'Professional Scrum Product Owner Subject Areas' which can be located on our website here:

http://www.scrum.org/Courses/Professional-Scrum-Product-Owner/PSPO-Subj…

These Subject Area Topics are:

The Scrum Framework
Scrum Theory and Principles
Cross-Functional, Self-Organizing Teams
Maximizing Value
Product Backlog Management

In addition to these listed topics, at the link provided above, you will also find a description for each of these topics, as well as the suggested reading materials (which you referenced in your post).

For PSPO I assessment preparation tips and suggestions, we would also encourage you to search our Forums for PSPO I assessment preparation suggestion posts from those who have previously attempted the PSPO I assessment.

Thank you again for your interest in Scrum.org and enjoy your day!

Kind Regards,

Scrum Support

12:56 pm September 8, 2014

Hi Franz,

I did this PSM via a course and PSPO self study, its a journey is what I can say.
Lots of books and reading, my opinion is its worth doing for the journey of learning.
You don't get an auto pass on completion of a course.
You have to sit an exam post course to get the qualification.
I would agree with this URL on the assessment type if you want a comparison to show.

http://www.agileinnovation.eu/wordpress/which-scrummaster-certification…

Holding both PSM and PSPO its no different the bar remains at the same level on each.

Michael

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.