Skip to main content

Taking up PO Role

Last post 05:34 pm September 29, 2014 by Stephen Missett
4 replies
01:54 am September 24, 2014

Guys, help me in the following case,

When my Product Owner has not been available lately. My VP says "Hey ScrumMaster, I need PO for some other project, why don't you continue to run the show?". What would be your reaction?

02:22 am September 25, 2014

But first let me know that what is the summary of the product owner role? As a PO should own the product on behalf of the organization. You may think of the PO as the individual who proponent of the products, who facilitates the decisions for products?

07:43 am September 25, 2014

Hi Daniel,
what do you think about it yourself? Do you have the authority, domain knowledge and skills to play the role? Is there someone else who has the skills to play the Scrum Master role? If not, do you have the time to play them both simultaneously? What are advantages / disadvantages?
Maybe you can communicate these to your VP.
As a hint, potential conflict of interest is one disadvantage.

10:30 am September 25, 2014

> My VP says "Hey ScrumMaster, I need PO for
> some other project, why don't you continue to
> run the show?". What would be your reaction? 

I'd point out that it isn't my show to run. I'm not accountable for the product...the Product Owner is.

It looks like I'd also have to point out that this is a product and not a project. Furthermore, if the product is no longer of sufficient value for its owner to represent it, I'd suggest it might be wise to cease working on it any further.

05:34 pm September 29, 2014

How is the PO and where are they?

Its about accountability, and we need to learn to say NO!, not my remit.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.