Skip to main content

Product environment changes..

Last post 08:50 am October 16, 2014 by Anke Maerz
1 reply
06:12 pm October 9, 2014

Hello Forum mates,

I have a below question and wanted to discuss on possible right answer.

While under development the environment in which a product will be changed. What is the effect on the product backlog?
• It is archived and a new product backlog is created to take its place
• There is no effect, because it has to stay the same until the end of the project.
• It evolves to reflect what the product needs to be most valuable
• It is converted into a requirements specification to ensure stability

I feel both are right, It evolves to reflect what the product needs to be most valuable
It is converted into a requirements specification to ensure stability

Any weight-age which is more accurate?

08:50 am October 16, 2014

Hi Savitha,

I'm not sure I understood your question right.

The right answer ist "It evolves...". Your other preferred answer is wrong because a requirements specification cannot ensure stability, especially not if the environment changes:
If the environment changes, so do the requirements. If the requirements change, the product backlog changes and with it any requirements specification. As a product usually exists in a complex environment, it will never be possible to "ensure stability". That's why two of the pillars of empirical process control theory are inspection and adaptation: you have to accept instability and you cope with it by inspection and adaptation.

Does this answer your question?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.