Skip to main content

Tips for passing PSM 1

Last post 02:58 pm October 15, 2014 by tim muttitt
8 replies
05:38 am October 11, 2014

Hi

I recently failed PSM 1 test.

If anyone can give me some tips on following, it would be highly appreciated.

How to improve knowledge on subject areas such as

* Cross functional and self organisation
* Coaching and facilitation

Which sections in Scrum Guide shows explanations on above subject areas?

Any recommended books?

Thanks in Advance.

12:12 pm October 11, 2014

Hi !

Did you check https://www.scrum.org/Courses/Professional-Scrum-Master/PSM-Subject-Are… ?
I'll recommend "Succeeding with agile" from Mike Cohn and "Coaching agile teams" from Lissa Adkins for these 2 topics.
The other books are good also.

Good luck

06:15 am October 12, 2014

Many thanks for ur tips Olivier.

12:14 am October 14, 2014

Hi,

I gave exam and failed :-( Its not a easy exam. Some questions are straight forward while others are too tricky

Please suggest appropriate sites for study.

Thanks

Gaurav

01:16 pm October 14, 2014

I just passed the assessment a couple weeks ago. The book I found to be most helpful was Essential Scrum in the Mike Cohn series. http://www.mikecohnsignatureseries.com/books/essential-scrum

I also took the open assessment about 25 times until I constantly received 30 out 30.

Moreover, when taking the test use the bookmark tool. Don't spend too much time on a question you are unsure of. Go through and answer the questions you know and then go back. You will feel less pressure because you know you have time. If you have read the scrum guide and other resources you should be able to answer the questions that are not found in the open assessment.

Good luck!

03:41 am October 15, 2014

When working on the Open Assessment, try to figure out why some answers are "no correct", and not only what is the correct answer.

12:54 pm October 15, 2014

Hi. Reading (and re-reading) the scrum guide (scrumguides.org) I found to be very useful for the PSM I. The Open Assessment also helps to prepare for the exam by making the test taker read carefully and not be tricked by the presentation of the answers.

02:58 pm October 15, 2014

Do you have real world actual experience in the role of scrum master? I've found that the experience is one of the best ways to learn. Maybe come back in a few months after actual experience.

If you have the experience, then read the scrum guide over and over. Then take the open assessment until you are scoring 100% each time. Learn from your mistakes. Read Ken Schwabers blog. Read the forum discussions and see what real world issues people are facing and how you would answer it using the scrum guide, agile manifesto & principles.

Good luck!

Tim

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.