Skip to main content

EBM: Difference between Time To Market and Ability to Innovate

Last post 05:18 am July 26, 2022 by William Holidi Hartono
3 replies
12:29 pm July 25, 2022

When reading the EBM guide, I do not really understand why "time spent merging code between branches", "technical debt", "time spent context-switching" and "installed version index" fall into the category Ability to Innovate as, IMHO, they directly influence Time To Market metrics (e.g. they slow it down). Could you please clarify why is it the case?

I personally interpret T2M as the reactiveness to deliver new value; while A2I as the effectiveness in delivering new value to the customer (hopefully in a positive way). But when reading their examples, they seem to be quite similar and related. Probably my current understanding about these 2 KVAs is poor, so please feel free to correct me in this case.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

05:44 pm July 25, 2022

The ability to innovate means you can build the right thing at the right time. The ability is there. The question remains however: do you?

A good time to market suggests that indeed you do...but then again, perhaps you are really just producing the wrong thing more quickly.

Hence you need a perspective on both.

09:46 pm July 25, 2022

Under A2I there are 2 questions organizations should be regularly asking themselves… 

1. What prevents the organization from delivering new value?
  2. What prevents customers or users from benefiting from that innovation

The A2I KVAs are aligned to factors that may prevent innovation. Tech Debt, excessive time spent merging and context switching etc can be indicators of other issues or systemic problems that could impact ability to innovate. Maybe tech debt is so great that no new things can be introduced for fear of product collapse. 

That said, I think the A2I KVAs you mentioned could also serve T2M. 

Worth noting that the EBM guide states

To encourage adaptability, EBM defines no specific Key Value Measures (KVMs). KVMs listed below are presented to show the kinds of measures that might help an organization to understand its current state, desired future state, and factors that influence its ability to improve.

05:18 am July 26, 2022

Let's discuss this project:

I need to create a new phone for blind people with one main features 

ability to scan 1 meter radius and inform the which object are around him / her

T2M is 6 months from now

A2I is how can we achieve this in 6 months

in my experience, we need to remind us time to time the scope / time

how much we can deliver our best (A2I) within time limit (T2M)

in this project,

A2I is how can we enable the phone to recognize 10 basic objects e.g. road, elevator, etc effectively 

we may replace some object with others but max is 10 (scope) else no object changes will be better 

while T2M will remain 6 months 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.