Skip to main content

Role clarification - Which role performs detailed technical system flows in a multi-team effort?

Last post 01:58 pm August 26, 2022 by Chuck Suscheck
4 replies
02:31 pm August 25, 2022

Hi all,

I am a program manager and just onboarded onto a ServiceNow implementation project that involves multiple development teams.  The development teams are aligned to the system that they support 

The teams are transitioning to agile approach.  I would rate their current agile adoption status as "hybrid agile" model using the nicest terms.  They've adopted some of the ceremonies and "procedures" of agile but still struggle with the philosophy. 

ServiceNow acts the "front-end" and the other systems are all back-end integrations.  Many of our stories require detailed technical system flows to show the interactions between the systems.  In our current model, the ServiceNow Product Owner is expected to provide the detailed technical flows as part of their story building. 

The problem is this is causing a chokepoint on our SN product owners.  They are overburdened and creating a bottleneck. On top of gathering business requirements, building feature roadmap and aligning with leadership, they are also expected to do these very time consuming detailed system flows and collaborating with the product managers and engineers of the backend systems.

In this situation, is the product owner of the front-end system the appropriate role to perform these system flows?  If not, who should perform the detailed technical specs in a multi-team model?  

Any advice or information is appreciated. 

Young

08:34 pm August 25, 2022

Is it actually possible to obtain detailed technical specifications which you can then have confidence in?

If so, why bother with Scrum at all? The framework is meant for complex conditions of high uncertainty, where innovation is the key to success. Using Scrum, teams learn empirically -- Sprint by Sprint -- to build the right thing at the right time.

09:27 pm August 25, 2022

The teams are transitioning to agile approach.  I would rate their current agile adoption status as "hybrid agile" model using the nicest terms.  They've adopted some of the ceremonies and "procedures" of agile but still struggle with the philosophy. 

I wasn't aware that there were ceremonies and procedures in an agile "model".  In fact, I am not entirely sure what an agile model is.  The Manifesto for agile software development expresses some philosophies and principles that can help teams become more efficient at adjusting to change.  But I would not call that an agile model. 

It seems you have some kind of specific "model" in mind in order for you to 'rate their current agile adoption status as "hybrid agile" model using the nicest terms'. What you describe seems to be very structured with many gates to moving forward.  I would agree that it doesn't seem to be capable of allowing teams to adjust to changes easily. 

From a Scrum perspective, @Ian has given you what I consider to be the perfect answer.  From a perspective of what would work best for your team and organization, you should be asking them and not us.  Your process is specific to your organization and ServiceNow.  So only the people in those organizations can provide answers that would benefit the situation. 

01:28 pm August 26, 2022

Thanks all.... I see that it's not really a Scrum question.   

01:58 pm August 26, 2022

The Scaled Professional Scrum course may provide help.  Read the Nexus guide to see if this is the right model (multiple teams on 1 product) and if so, consider signing up for the SPS class.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.