Skip to main content

First time coaching

Last post 05:00 am March 19, 2015 by Jasper Alblas
4 replies
01:08 pm March 4, 2015

As a Scrum Master, I have my first assignment coaching a new Scrum team (they're about 4 sprints old). I have training materials prepared on the basics, but in terms of attending their ceremonies, would you have any advice on the approach to take? Obviously they have a scrum master already (new) so I want to strike the right balance between teaching and not taking over.

04:16 am March 10, 2015

Do not take over at all. Not now, not in the future. Coach the team into self organisation.

Observe, listen to what they have to say and give them advice in times of need.

If the team is completely new to Agile, teach them the basics. Observe what they do well and start building on that foundation. If they stray to far from the basics of Scrum, let them experience the consequences and guide them back.

Read "Coaching Agile Teams" by Alyssa Adkins. Great material.

01:50 pm March 10, 2015

+1 on what Jasper said.

Understanding the difference between teaching, coaching, facilitating and mentoring will help you understand which hat to wear and when to wear it.

Treat the Coaching Agile Teams book like a bible.

10:38 am March 18, 2015

Thank you guys. This advice is great and I have a much better idea on how to approach this

05:00 am March 19, 2015

+1 that too!

Why can't we +1?

Who's the product owner of this forum?? :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.