Skip to main content

11 years in IT - realised I love scrum mastery and team management - looking for advice / stories

Last post 08:22 pm October 3, 2022 by H T
No replies yet
08:22 pm October 3, 2022

Background

I'm currently in a fairly senior technical role within a team that, before I joined, had limited prioritisation of their work.  Some time after joining I took the following responsibilities in addition to my technical ones:

* To monitor the backlog and group the tickets for each of our stakeholder teams

* To meet with each stakeholder team to help them articulate what they wanted us to do and prioritise their requests

* To meet with a few members of each team together to get the right priority across all the requests for the next sprint

The 'problem' I'm having is that I've found myself enjoying this more than my technical work! I've been waiting for the difficult meeting, the complaints, for something to go wrong or to find the thing I don't like... but so far I haven't.  I mentioned to a colleague that if I could spend all my time doing the 3 above things it'd be my dream job, then she reminded me that "Scrum Master" is a job title.

She put me in touch with an experienced Scrum Master who directed me to this web site.  I've done some soul-searching over the weekend and come to the following conclusions:

1. This isn't a "grass is greener" situation or feeling fresh from a change of scenery; I'm genuinely enjoying it because - 

2. I'm loving supporting our stakeholders by actively involving them in the process and empowering them to tell us which requests are most important to them, and - 

3. I'm loving supporting my team by making sure our tickets have everything needed for them to pick them up.

The Request(s)

What I'm looking for from the forum is 2 things:

1. Advice for what order an experienced IT professional who's half in the role already should approach the learning material.  I'm going to work through all of it, but pointers for where to focus first would be appreciated.

2. Any and all stories of people who've transitioned from a more technical role into being a scrum master.  What went great for you, what didn't, what hurdles did you have in making the move, what would you do differently knowing what you know now, and what advice you'd give to someone who's considering the move.

Thanks for reading, and to any and all replies.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.