Skip to main content

What is true about the Definition of Done?

Last post 06:27 pm July 16, 2015 by Ching-Pei Li
13 replies
07:20 am July 1, 2015

1. The DoD of a Sprint is unique and depends on the content and purpose of the Sprint
2. All Sprints of a project have the same DoD
3. All Sprint Backlogs of all Sprints of a project have the same DoD
4. The DoD and Goal of one Sprint is the same

Thanks
AJ

08:55 am July 13, 2015

2. All Sprints of a project have the same DoD

03:40 am July 14, 2015

The Scrum Guide says:

"During each Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team plans ways to increase product quality by adapting the definition of “Done” as appropriate."

Can any of the four answers therefore be said to be true?

10:26 am July 15, 2015

I choose 1.The DoD of a Sprint is unique and depends on the content and purpose of the Sprint

There should be only one DoD in a Sprint.
DoD should be confirmed during Scrum planning.

10:29 am July 15, 2015

DoD should be confirmed during Scrum planning.

Sorry!
I want to say "DoD should be confirmed during Spring planning."

01:28 am July 16, 2015

I am agree with Ian's comments but out of given four option, 1st one looks most apposite.

05:06 am July 16, 2015

"During each Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team plans ways to increase product quality by adapting the definition of “Done” as appropriate."

What does adapting the definition of “Done” as appropriate mean?
As Scrum Teams mature, it is expected that their definitions of “Done” will expand to include more stringent criteria for higher quality.
For example:
In order to increase product quality, we must add the following criteria to the definition of “Done”:
1. For UI Application, it must pass a 4-hours Exploratory test.
2. For Windows service, it must take an stable running for 48 hours.
3. The code coverage must be raised from 80% to 90% average.
4. The code coverage of buniness logic componet developed via TDD must be 100% from now on.
5. …

On the other hand:
The purpose of each Sprint is to deliver Increments of potentially releasable functionality that adhere to the Scrum Team’s current definition of “Done.”
During sprint planning, The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint. The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.

I think the definition of “Done.” Includes both features and quality and must be confirmed during Sprint planning.

So, the answer is the First One.

1. The DoD of a Sprint is unique and depends on the content and purpose of the Sprint.

05:39 am July 16, 2015

The DoD doesn't depend on the "content and purpose of the Sprint", even when it is improved each Sprint. Rather, it depends on the quality and purpose of the expected release.

It's the Sprint Goal that depends upon the "content and purpose of the Sprint", in so far as it should express a coherence of these things.

None of the answers are satisfactory in my view.

05:53 am July 16, 2015

Posted By Ian Mitchell on 16 Jul 2015 05:39 AM

None of the answers are satisfactory in my view.

I'm on your side.

But as s test taker, I would choose the First One. :)

06:55 am July 16, 2015

Does anyone know where this question actually comes from, and to which test it is meant to relate?

07:22 am July 16, 2015

Hi! This question comes from europeanscrum.org - it's Scrum & Scrum Master Exam Simulator

08:44 am July 16, 2015

This example shows that coming up with good questions can be harder than coming up with good answers.

01:51 pm July 16, 2015

And this thread shows that essay questions are much more interesting than true/false questions ! ;-)

06:27 pm July 16, 2015

Posted By Olivier LEDRU on 16 Jul 2015 01:51 PM
And this thread shows that essay questions are much more interesting than true/false questions ! ;-)

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more.

But there would be a trade-off for non-native English speaker like me.

Essay questions would be a big problem for me!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.