Skip to main content

Regarding Modification of Sprint Backlog Items after Sprint Planning?

Last post 11:42 am July 7, 2015 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
02:39 am July 5, 2015

Hi All
I have been reading alot about Scrum for over 6months & I have PSM 1 soon.
I have a doubt regarding Srpint Backlog Items ,request you to help me out.

1. Can Sprint Backlog Items (along with Tasks) be changed after sprint planning is over by DT along with PO? Or
2. Can these items be changed only before Sprint Planning is over?or
3. Can only Tasks be changed during Sprint and not Sprint Backlog Items?

Regards
Nitesh

03:38 am July 7, 2015

Hi Nitesh,

in my opinion and regarding the practice at our teams it depends on what means to "change the sprint backlog item".

As DT I would not agree to change scope of the sprint backlog item if this makes the goal for the sprint no longer fulfillable by the DT. Then Key-Users (Customers) would start to inject features this way not covered by the PO.

But some times during sprint when development starts we found problems or special cases not covered in the sprint planning and probably nobody (Key-User, PO, DT) was aware of that case. Then we change the sprint backlog item to clarify what is in the sprint and what not, along with a new user story describing the value of what is not yet in the sprint and linking the items by an epic.

11:42 am July 7, 2015

> I would not agree to change scope of the
> sprint backlog item if this makes the goal for
> the sprint no longer fulfillable by the DT

That's correct, and therein lies the rationale for modifying a Sprint Backlog in the first place. Specifically the backlog can and should be adapted at any point during the Sprint if this makes the Sprint Goal *more* achievable. Such replanning can be a valid output of the Daily Scrum.

Sprint replanning may affect any (or all) planned tasks for the Sprint, or indeed any (or all) of the selected Product Backlog Items. However, since undone work technically remains on the Product Backlog, any changes to any planned work that is not yet Done must first be negotiated with the Product Owner. In other words if it changes a PBI then the PO must agree.

Adaptations to those parts of the Sprint Backlog which do not impact PBI's, and which do not change the value expected by the PO, are the responsibility of the Development Team. Usually these are represented as the team's tasks and they can replan them as they see fit.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.