Skip to main content

Passed PSM I - Some tips

Last post 11:17 am August 31, 2015 by Amodiovalerio Verde
1 reply
01:23 pm August 30, 2015

Hello all,

this is the first time I write here, but I have read many threads in recent weeks and you have been a key support for my preparation.

I want to share the joy of passing the PSM I exam at first try, and how I prepared to do it, so it can be of help to others.

A quick recap:

Working experience with Scrum: two years as product owner
Time for preparation in the assessment: 2 weeks (about 3 hours per day)
Materials used: Scrum Guide, Open Assessment Forum, Management Plaza Practice Exams
Result: 79 of 80 (98.8%). Wondering which one was wrong, I will never know!
Time: 30 minutes to answer all questions, 30 minutes to review again all the questions

Some suggestions (some already provided by others)

Scrum Guide

- Reading and understanding the scrum guides is essential.
- Understand the meaning and the choice of every single word. They all have a precise meaning.
- Read it at least once a day for 4-5 days until it is clear in every single point.
- If there are questions regarding the interpretation, the Scrum.org forum is an outstanding resource to clarify doubts.

Open Assessment

- They give an idea of how the assessment will be real.
- Do them several times until you get the 100% for more than 4-5 times in a row.
- Do not learn 'by heart' questions, but it is important to be able to say not only which is the correct answer, but mostly the reason why it is correct and the reason why the others are wrong.
- Take notes, underlined the important things or points of attention.
- Do not practice only with the Scrum OA, but do the same also with that PSPO, Developer and Practictioner. It will be very helpful.

The forum

- Whenever you have a doubt, search the forums. Likely you will find already a thread about it.

Management Plaza

- I bought their "PSM Preparation Practice Exams". Having the possibility to practice the exam with 80 questions in an hour, helps to understand how to manage time. Furthermore it provides feedback on the answers and helps you understand the why of them.
- Again, do the test up to overcome at 100% for more than 4-5 consecutive times.

What I did not

- I have not read other books or information taken from other sources. That’s because it could be misleading. In some cases, other authors do not comply 100% with Scrum.org and certain information may not be entirely the correct ones to pass the exam PSM I.

Tip for non-native English
- Pay close attention to the words MUST / CAN / COULD. In some questions they can make a difference.

And now I take a break and then I will try SPEO. :)

Thank you and happy Scrum

11:17 am August 31, 2015

And now I take a break and then I will try SPEO. :)

Was PSPO :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.